front brake lever play

i have a problem with my front brake on my 09 yz450.

there is an inch of play when i pull the lever in, then i get a nice firm feeling to it. i just started noticing this recently and i think its gettting worse. by the time im getting good braking the lever is already hitting my other fingers that are holding onto the bar.

i just installed new brake pads and bled the line with no results and the caliper is floating freely

how can i get rid of that initial play and have a firm feeling farther out in the pull?

Have you checked your brake fluid level? You could have a leak somewhere. Maybe you didnt tighten the drain bolt all the way?

Take a zip tie and pull your lever into the grip as far as it will pull with the zip tie and let it set over night or leave it on until your ready load to go ride. This will help get any air out of the system. If it does not work, then you need to kit your master cylinder. Good luck.

Take a zip tie and pull your lever into the grip as far as it will pull with the zip tie and let it set over night or leave it on until your ready load to go ride. This will help get any air out of the system. If it does not work, then you need to kit your master cylinder. Good luck.

where do i find a rebuild kit?

I suspect from the date of your post that the zip tie trick didn't fix it. Use the OEM kit. Its not hard to change, you just need a pair of snap ring pliers. You can get the kit from your local dealer or order it on line here at TT or some of the other popular on line stores that stock factory OEM parts.