wr450f to compelete my Yamaha Lineup. Have a few questions.

So I just pickkup a 04 wr450 been wanting one But settled for a steal on a wr250 a couple a years back. So currenlty I have both and they both are 04's. Plus an 05R6 track and 09 R1 street, and forgot the wifey's raptor 250.

I was hopeing you guys can help me out with some basic questions.

First I'm looking for street trim I would like this bike to be dual duty and have a set of street rims and tires for it. Where do I look for those rims and how do I tell if they are for steet or dirt.

2nd, the bike came with a rekluse clutch. and I'm still out on that. I see its advantages and disadvangtes. I was thinking of taking it out and selling it possibly getting a sliper clutc for it. Can I get any decent coin for the used clutch?

3rd. I'm assuming I can paint the plastics but what about the gas tank. I would like all my bikes to match. Can I get black plastics.

Again bike is an 04 wr450f.

Thanks for all you help.

Welcome! I have an 04 as well, great bikes lots of fun, easy to work on.

1. There were no street legal WR450's in the US so I an not sure what you are meaning about street wheels. Depending on what you are trying to do look for a DOT stamp on the rim itself if that is a factor for you. Otherwise, get some wheels in whatever size you want to run (21 and 18 or some sumo 17's) and be good.

2. A Rekluse will sell for some coin, but like you said it's a used clutch. Depending on condition will set your price. Figure maybe half of new if it's good? Less if it needs new plates.

3. Anything can be painted but you really don't want to paint dirtbike plastics thst are exposed to possible wear from falling. I'd do some searching around the stickies (something you should do anyway) and the regular forum as there is some discussion of what colors you can and can't get and I do think everything but a headlight shell can be gotten in black. That I'd be ok with painting but it will still wear and you'll be doing it again. A full set of plastics should be just over $100, seems like a ton of crap to go through to try to paint it all.

And don't paint the gas tank unless you never plan on putting fuel into it, vapors will eventually peel the paint. Take a gander on eBay at the amount of "painted" or more accurately formerly painted tanks selling for pennies on the dollar. If your going to do it and making all you bikes match is important fo it right and buy an aftermarket black one.

Hope this helps.

Welcome! I have an 04 as well, great bikes lots of fun, easy to work on.

1. There were no street legal WR450's in the US so I an not sure what you are meaning about street wheels.

Had no issue getting a plate for mine last week. In fact they didn't even blink. Is there something I need to know about?
Had no issue getting a plate for mine last week. In fact they didn't even blink. Is there something I need to know about?

Was yours previously titled? If not then you live in one of the few lucky states that don't care or you were simply lucky.

For the rest of us that had the 21st century come crashing down over the past 5 years it's almost impossible to license something that didn't come already licensed. Legally at least.

You're not completely out of the woods yet, I have no experience with Georgia but have heard other states are pulling plates from previously titled bikes.

YMMV, however, my original statement is true: there were no street legal US model WR450F's made. You may have a plate, but it's still not EPA and DOT certified and could get it's plate pulled at some point. So the OP looking for "street wheels" still is confusing. To me at least.

Mike

Yep, previously tagged and titled. Part of why I wanted an offroader was for FS roads and the local state run offroad areas, in Ga. those require a tagged bike.

Guess I was just lucky so far.

Regular "dirt" wheels are just fine for the street. They can be balanced for higher speed use at a bike shop. Shouldn't be necessary for the stock WR's speeds. You just have to have DOT certified tires.

I love my rekluse in the woods, but wouldn't want one on the street. I don't feel that it would disengage enough idling at a stoplight. Up to you.

well I acutally got lucky and plated my wr250 lol. walked in to the dmv and asked for plates and registration. They said they would have to change the title to motorcycle and did it on the spot. I'm in VA.

Anyway even if I can not plate it. I would still need a set for track days.