Advice on titling a dirt bike in Virginia

Hello all!

I have a 09 wr250f which has been absolutely perfect except that I have no place to ride it!

I started another thread on here a while ago about what I needed to know when purchasing a new bike and that advice was very helpful so I come back looking for more wisdom!

I bought this bike (and ride) this bike in pennsylvania; however, I live in Virginia... In pennsylvania if I could ride to certain places there would be tons of more places for me to ride.. haha that sounds redundant, but you get my point! So I think I am going to try to undergo the daunting task of plating my bike... When I bought the bike I did not receive a title, rather a "certificate of origin." On that certificate of origin it states, "Notice: This vehicle was not manufactured for use on public streets, roads or highways. Such use is prohibited by law."

So I have no idea what I'm doing but I do know that that sucks...

What, if anything can I do to plate this thing??

I would imagine the first thing I need to do is obtain a title, and I'm guessing I would do that through DMV?

Okay, I think I threw enought at you guys for one post, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much...

Mark

I researched this a couple of years ago. Lot's of good advice IN THIS THREAD

I never got around to plating one of my bikes, but with gas prices on the rise again I think I'll pull the trigger. Connecting trails legally would be a big plus too. I'm gonna go the International Title Service route.

I researched this a couple of years ago. Lot's of good advice IN THIS THREAD

I never got around to plating one of my bikes, but with gas prices on the rise again I think I'll pull the trigger. Connecting trails legally would be a big plus too. I'm gonna go the International Title Service route.

wow that was very helpful thank you!

So as far as proof of insurance goes, what exactly does that entail?

Do you just need something that says you have some sort of insurance?

I think I am going to try to go to the dmv with origin of certificate, bill of sale, and proof of insurance and see what happens... It seems like some people have luck with just asking for title and plates? Could it be that easy?

So as far as proof of insurance goes, what exactly does that entail? Do you just need something that says you have some sort of insurance?

As far as I know. But like I said, I haven't taken the plunge just yet so I'm no expert.

It seems like some people have luck with just asking for title and plates? Could it be that easy?

For some, apparantly so. But good luck with that. I only have a bill of sale which is why I'm planning to use ITS.

What part of VA are you in? If you're anywhere near Culpepper I had a certain DMV recommended to me. ? But if you're down south like me I don't have any tips.

I'm actually in northern virginia not too far from culpeper! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Forgive my ignorance but why do you need to go to ITS? What exactly do they do for you that allows you/or gets you a step closer to plating the bike?

Where are you in southern VA? I used to go to school in Wise... If I'm ever down that way again I owe you a beer! ?

I'm actually in northern virginia not too far from culpeper! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I'll send you a pm in a moment.

Forgive my ignorance but why do you need to go to ITS? What exactly do they do for you that allows you/or gets you a step closer to plating the bike?

ITS gives you an out of state title & plates for about $200. (Yes, it's legal.) Then you take the title to your local dmv & have it transferred to VA. No hassles. It's all in the link I posted if you dig.

Since I have nothing more than a bill of sale, I can go this route or do what they call a "conversion" which involves extra inspections & fees. I figure ITS costs about the same without the hassle. You'll have to choose between these two options if you aren't one of the lucky few.

I live near Martinsville. Glad I could help. ?

Mmmm, I don't think so. There's nothing unlawful about owning a registered vehicle that you may or may not intend to drive, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure the gov't just wants your money & leaves the legality of operation up to the troopers. You should be able to get your license later. That's my plan anyway. Let me know if you encounter any hiccups though so I can be prepared.

Mmmm, I don't think so. There's nothing unlawful about owning a registered vehicle that you may or may not intend to drive,

Correct, no M endorsement needed to title or transfer.

Obvously you do need it to ride it on the road though.

Just take your paperwork to DMV theyll give you a tag, they could care less they figure the inspection will derail you.

I wouldn't ride without the M endorsement, first you are going to attract law enforcement's attention with the dirtbike and pretty much guaranteed to be pulled over. I was told the fine is the same as if you were driving with NO license.

Just take your paperwork to DMV theyll give you a tag, they could care less they figure the inspection will derail you.

I wouldn't ride without the M endorsement, first you are going to attract law enforcement's attention with the dirtbike and pretty much guaranteed to be pulled over. I was told the fine is the same as if you were driving with NO license.

Cool thanks Rob, I hope I'm that lucky! I think I'm going to try my luck this friday!

Thanks for the heads up about the license too... I just started riding about a month ago, and the only place I have to ride is in my neighborhood in Annandale, without a license and without a street legal bike...?

The right Cop with a bad attitude could really ruin your day

No registration

No Insurance

No Inspection

No License

Possible Careless or Reckless driving.

If you can get the bike to Haymarket you're welcome to throw the bike in the trailer and go ride with us

The right Cop with a bad attitude could really ruin your day

No registration

No Insurance

No Inspection

No License

Possible Careless or Reckless driving.

If you can get the bike to Haymarket you're welcome to throw the bike in the trailer and go ride with us

Thats cool man thanks... I just started riding a little while ago so I'm not very good yet so I don't want to hold you guys up, but thanks for the offer I may take you up on that sometime!

-Mark

Last year I spent almost three months trying (and eventually succeeding) in getting my KTM plated. I will tell you from what you have stated, dont waste your time trying to do it in VA unless there are some careless people. No title, no registration period. COO wont get you anywhere in getting a title. Curious how you got it plated without a title in PA? I and the person i bought it from last year went to three or four different DMV offices, a series of certified letters, the courts and all the way to the top of DMV. They finally gave it to me after much hassle. Bottom line is its illegal to sell a bike without a title. you dont own it technically, COO or not. If it states its not road legal on the COO VA wont give you a registration and plates. I have heard that you can do it out of state, but from what i have seen, if you dont fit the straight layout for what they have...no go.

Last year I spent almost three months trying (and eventually succeeding) in getting my KTM plated. I will tell you from what you have stated, dont waste your time trying to do it in VA unless there are some careless people. No title, no registration period. COO wont get you anywhere in getting a title. Curious how you got it plated without a title in PA? I and the person i bought it from last year went to three or four different DMV offices, a series of certified letters, the courts and all the way to the top of DMV. They finally gave it to me after much hassle. Bottom line is its illegal to sell a bike without a title. you dont own it technically, COO or not. If it states its not road legal on the COO VA wont give you a registration and plates. I have heard that you can do it out of state, but from what i have seen, if you dont fit the straight layout for what they have...no go.

Good lord that does not sound fun...

I fortunately had a completely different experience!

I went to dmv on friday with the certificate of origin, bill of sale, and proof of insurance (which they did not want). I went in and some lady asked what the reason for my visit was, I told her I needed title and registration. She proceeded to look at my certificate of origin, right where the "offroad only" language was... She then gave me a registration form and a number and told me to fill it out while I waited. So I'm pretty much a puddle of sweat waiting because of the horror stories I've heard, and after a short wait (no seriously, a short wait) I get called up and tell the lady what I need. I ask if she wants proof of insurance, she says no. She then checks my i.d. and all that stuff and produces a title for me a gets me a plate and registration.. It probably took about 10-15 dealing with the lady...

So it was about that easy. Now I am by no mean street legal, I still need dual sport kit, pass inspection, and get my motorcycle license, but I'm on my way!

By the way, I never got my bike plated in PA, I just bought it there...

PM or respond if yall have any further questions!

-Mark

Mark thats awesome. Not sure how that worked out...what office was it for future note?? :cheers:

for the license you should take the class they have. You use their bikes, it takes two half days i think and cost very little. You automatically pass when you complete the class successfully, no test required.

Thanks guys!

I'm considering doing that training test, especially so I don't have to unload a "dirt bike" in the dmv parking lot... That said I just started riding a few months ago and I've kinda got the hang of my bike, so I imagine I would be able to maneuver that bike easier than a rental bike or whatever they give you... Either way I better get some chalk or set up some cones throughout the streets of Annandale and practice! :cheers:

Hey Mud - I live in Vienna. Where do you ride?

I am older (50) and slow but still like riding.

This weekend is NVTR's annual spring trail ride down by Fredericksburg.

I may be going down.

PM me if you are interested in meeting up.

Dave