Gearing

I have a 2006 wr 450 with stock gearing. I just put a baja designs kit on it. I was just want to know if the stock gearing would be ok for the street or do I need to change it? Thanks:banana:

that depends how much road riding you are going to do with it.

Dirtbikes run out of gears quickly on the road

Definately gear it up.

(ie. larger front, smaller rear. Some call this gearing down, whatever!)

When I had mine geared for the road (mind you, with 17" motard rims) I think I had something like 16 tooth front and 42 rear or thereabouts. (Sorry, can't recall exactly what it was now.)

Take it for a run on the stock gearing and you'll soon see why you need to gear up!

Greg

I have a 2006 wr 450 with stock gearing. I just put a baja designs kit on it. I was just want to know if the stock gearing would be ok for the street or do I need to change it? Thanks:banana:

sprocket calculator.com

for street riding,i would go up a tooth or 2 on the front sprocket.it will add lots of top speed and take away torque

I believe your stock front sprocket is a 14 tooth. Go +1 tooth on the front sprocket and you will be fine.

Anything larger than +1 will require you to mod/remove the case saver.

Edited by djv5

I also have an 06, your stock front sproket is a 14 tooth, mine is street legal and geared up 1 in the front and its perfect for the street, does about 94mph! i'm goin back down to stock in the front and up 2 in the rear cuz i dont ride it on the street much anymore cuz it eats up tires too fast and i just started doin some hairscrambles and its a little too tall of a gear for tight trails. Go with a 15 tooth front sprocket on the front and you'll be happy with it,you probably won't even have to get a a new chain whereas you would b more likely to need a smaller chain if you went down on your rear sprocket.

Definitely stock gearing is not the way to go. I'd go 1 up in front for sure and then see what works best in back.