Rumered 2010-11 YZ450 Issues.. Anyone else?

I have heard two issues recently, one I have experienced the other I have not. I was wondering if this stuff is widespread, an actual issue or just make believe?

1) Has anyone had issues with the rear hub blowing apart on the sprocket side? I had this happen three weeks ago upon landing, I now have metal bolted to my collarbone.

2) A friend called Pro Action to get his bike(11 YZ450) revalved they told him he needs a $90 shim to take care of an issue that involves the rear shock blowing out causing internal shock damage and one gnarly crash.

I have had my bike since June and the only issue I have had with it is the rear hub blowing up. I took it as a freak thing after 8 months of pretty hard abuse but was told by an individual that he personally knows of 4 other people who had a similar hub failure.

As far as the shock thing I have never heard of that before, my bike has been revalved by Active Ride since June with no issues, nor has anyone ever mentioned something similar to me. Pro Action told my buddy they have seen at least 25 shock failures due to this shim.

Anyone else had either of these experiences?

I happen to think my hub issue is a freak thing, and the Pro Action Shock Shim issue is a blatant lie.

The bolts were tight, I had just gone over them a day or two before getting the bike ready.

It broke a chunk of hub containing three sprocket bolts off as one piece...

I'll post some pics up when I get my new wheels in and start the repairs...

It's totally possible, like I said I had checked them a couple of days before though. I've never had a hub fail on me, and I was still on my first moto of the day about 15minutes of riding.

I'm not blaming Yamaha by any means, I was told at the track that a guy had personally seen several hubs break the same way so I thought I'd check. I ordered a set of Talon T3 wheels from KSR that should be in any day now.

As far as the shock thing, that's what I'm more interested in. I think it's total BS, I have searched all day and haven't found a single comment backing up Pro Actions claims...

Definitely not over tight, I use the standard "three finger" measurement method.
Right. Your 3 fingers measure at least 2" across with a chain laying over them, and you did the chain adjustment with the bike on the stand, correct?

Sorry, but blowing the sprocket flange off a YZ hub on a landing is caused by running the chain too tight. Even though everyone who breaks one swears otherwise. (I did the repairs on one, and when I put it back together, guess what?)

The bike has to be on a stand, and the minimum measurement to the swing arm slider bolt on a 2010-11 needs to be 2 full inches:

Read:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8906182#post8906182

hubbreak.jpg

Also read:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406650

Easily two full inches on a stand. Either way I've used the same method for 10+ years and this is my first failure, I really don't think it was over tight but it sure could be a possibility.

Gray - have you heard mention of the rear shock shim deal Pro Action is blabbing about?

i had a rear hub blow apart on my 2010 450 an the chain was not to tight , an all bolts where tight . yamaha replaced the hud , swingarm for free. an i was 4 mts out of warranty

This post the the most telling. When manufacturers start covering broken items out of warranty, you know somethings up. I will keep an eye on mine.

Also, I would like to know what kind of shim costs $90, I just revalved my shock and there's not many parts in there worth $90.

Definitely not over tight, I use the standard "three finger" measurement method.

I just use a tape measure with millimeters on it. I pull ot the tape about 5 inches and put the end of the tape against the allen head bolt that holds the slider down and pull up on the chain and look to see what the measurement is at the bottom of the link.

This is done with bike on stand and I just put a O-Ring chain on about three days ago and the measurement was 52mm from slider bolt to bottom of link.

The 2010 calls from minimum being 50mm to maximum being at 60mm. I may tomorrow go and readjust it to 55mm after putting a O-ring chain on.

This will be the first O-Ring chain I have used for MX.

I find the easiest way to measure the clearance for the chain is like grey said, have it on the stand, then use a block of wood. I cut a block of wood 2" tall and about 2" wide and place it on the rear allen bolt for the chain slider. Adjust rear wheel position and tighten set bolts, measure adjusting bolts (make sure wheel is straight) and then torque rear axel nut.

• 2 months later...

I have had my bike for about a month now and i had put a new sprocket on the bike and lock tighted the bolts so it would prevent them from coming loose i even checked them before i went out for this moto. The chain was not over tight and it ended up blowing out that side of the hub. I am missing one or two of the holes that the bolts go in on the hub. I only have like 4 rides on the bike.