Axle nut size- please help

I am making a specialty axle nut wrench for dirt bike/ dual sport/ adventure travel applications. I need to know what sizes to make them in, though.

Please let me know what size wrenches fit your front and rear axle nuts (the ones you need to loosen to remove the wheel).

Please include the year and model of your bike(s).

I will give a 20% discount to anyone who helps out.

Thanks!

Front 17

Rear 24

The wrench should also have a open ended 10mm for the front tire removal (and chain adjust) and 12mm open ended for the chain adjust/rear.

If you really want to score points:

1)Make it two wrenches that slide into each other-with one end a tire iron on each. So dumb I have to carry two tire irons and a special axle wrench! If the two wrenchs could be hooked together in an extended manner with the tire iron side available-that would help with tire removal.

2) Make it out of titanium. I recently bought some Ti tire irons and they are great. Not even a lot more in cost.

3) Fredette Racing (www.frpoffroad.com) already sell what you propose-others do to-they have all the bike/wrenchsize info you need on thier website! But not the tire iron/axle wrench hybrids. Baja racers actually custom weld open ended 10 and 12 mm to the axle wrenches (including team Honda!) for this bike (2000-'04 XR650R).

Good luck. ? What other products are you going to offer? Do you have a website yet? Name of your company?

hasta,

Mike

Make what irondude is talking about and you can sign me up as one of your first customers. :D

I already carry a Fredette wrench like you are talking about making. I thought the rear axle on the 650R was 27mm though ? Probably just me thinking again.

• Like 1

My XR650L and my XR400R (both 2000s) also are 17mm up front and 24mm in the rear. However I have found that an SAE 6pt. 15/16" socket fits much better than a 24mm on the rear. Much tighter fit, almost zero play...less chance of boogering up the nut. My 2 cents. ?

the xr650R uses a 17mm front and 27mm rear. I personally use a Freddet rider tool that you can buy for about $18 (retail). the tool is strong, small and light. make sure you can produce a better tool than that one at a competetive price and I would buy them to put in the dealers we service in Mexico. Remember, retail $18, dealers needs to make at least 25% otherwise they don't carry it...do the math.

27 mm rear- sorry guys-to answer the request i just checked the Fredette website and it said 24 mm for all XR's and thats the info i passed on. Glad you caught it!

So its 17/24 for most XR's but the BRP is 17/27. Makes sense.

-hasta,

Mike

ps Baja Ruddy- you going down for the Baja 300?

• 9 months later...

Sorry it took so long to get back to this forum. I finished the axle wrenches last fall, but I have been traveling South America by moto till recently.

Here is the scoop on the wrenches:

They are a TITANIUM axle wrench/tire iron combination.

You buy them in pairs- one each to fit the front and the rear axles.

After you take the wheel off the bike with the wrench, you use the 2 together to mount/dismount the tire, fix the tube, whatever.

They sell for $44/pair (cheaper than either plain Ti irons or steel wrench/iron combos)

As promised, I will give a 20% discount to anyone who gave me info. Please include a link to your post to make it easier for me to verify.

They can be seen on www.sopgear.com

THANKS for the help!

Cool stuff. Motion Pro just came out with the same tool, but it is aluminum--and after using one recently i found that the aluminum tool on an aluminum rim really scratched things badly. Also-the curvature of the spoon is VERY important. Motion Pro has the curvature corect on their older style tire irons, but not on the new Al tire iron/axle nut wrench combos---close, but a little off.

Hope your 'spoon' is the right angle.

Cant help but ask...both you and MP come out with this tool 6 months after i posted a description of it....!?

Heres another tip for ya: I own the BMW heated vest--it needs a 12VDC lead. Worked on my beemer, but no way to run it on my XR650R...make your heated vests (saw your website), etc., 12VAC-or have an inverter designed into the garment. Cycoactive can show you how. That way all the dual sporters without BIG batteries can buy your stuff.

Another tool: The trailside second kickstand. Really its a balance stand. ANchors to the foot peg mount, and telescopes to the ground. The only way to change a flat without laying the bike on the ground--unless ya get a flat near some large rocks.

One more: The inner tube valve stem thread...hardest part of chaning a tire can be getting the valve stem into the damm hole-especially for those of short fat fingers (no jokes please) -- how about a little tool that will screw into the valve stem, with a wire or fishing line or whatever dangling out so ya can get it into the hole and then pull the valve stem of the tube in. Saw a home made version once, very trick...

How about making your wrenches out of carbon fiber? That would be cool. How about turing the foam in a seat into a giant air filter? Maybe a diesel CRF450X with two wheel drive? Or...the one i think about when stuck in traffic: Combining the new 'Tire Balls' technology with bolt on treads. Run a basic off road carcass 'tire' with pre-drilled spots with holes where bolts going straight into the center of the rim wait for whatever tread type ya wanna run. From paddles to trials. Just take a couple minutes and unbolt one style and bolt on another. Why spend all that money on tire carcasses? Use the same carcass for years..could revolutionize things...i gotta go get some more alcohol... ?