Valve Clearance

This question is for you mechanical gurus. The shims in are 171 and the clearance is .012. Specs say max clearance is .0118. So what number shims would be correct to get it in spec? I put it together (couldn't wait to try the 450 cam) :D :D :D and is a little noisy, but runs great. ?????? Thanks in advance :D

This question is for you mechanical gurus. The shims in are 171 and the clearance is .012. Specs say max clearance is .0118. So what number shims would be correct to get it in spec? I put it together (couldn't wait to try the 450 cam) :D :D :D and is a little noisy, but runs great. ?????? Thanks in advance :D

You'll need to find which increments the shims come in. Measure all your clearnaces, write it all down, now figure out what you'd like them to be, then go from there. You are a little outside of max, keep in mind, the valve clearances will usually decrease as the engine runs and the valves wears into the seats. Excess clearances shows up when you have some abnormal wear. Try to get them mid way. After figuring how much clearance you need to add or remove, take out the shim and measure it, record this clearance also. Then run down to Yamaha and get your shims. After you have them all in place, roll the engine over a bunch to settle it all in place and measure it again, hopefully you'll be done the first time. But if tis not, tear back in. If you get it perfect the first time, you've done good! As a Toyota tech, the Tundra/Sequoia/Landcruiser uses the same "small shim under the bucket" set up at thje Yamaha does. Shims on top of the bucket are easier, but with aggressive lift cams like the WR/YS, they'd spit these shims right out. Shims for these cost $5 each, not sure what Yamaha will charge.

Basically all the parts that compose a foreign vehicule is metric. If you have access to a digital micrometer you only have to choose the metric scale. If your dealer doesn't. May be you could rent one !

Or better, buy the tool. The cost of a good digital micrometer will be less than a visit to the "stealer", sorry I mean dealer ?:D

• 1 month later...

I believe the yamaha shims come in incremets of "5" which means the next size avaliable from Yamaha will be 175 (+.04mm) which might put you close to the tight side (.0104"?) if you use it.

I prefer the valves a little loose than right on the tight limit. I think you are right on the bubble.

There is a chart in the manual, I would check it and see.

Let me know if you don't have a manual and I'll check for you.

• 6 years later...