How much flywheel weight for a 2008 YZF 450?

Oh, no...... Please don't tell me that you didn't get the heavier one? Was that due to my post, Skull 1971?

Will I ever be able to go to Texas anymore?

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober

HAHAHA

Your welcome in Texas anytime!! I already had my 4oz flywheel,, just trying to have some fun.

ERIC

Whew!!!! :smirk:

Dodged a bullet there.....:thumbsup:

Jimmie

Well, I got it together today, and Gray is right,,, I can't tell. But I only had it running 5 minutes and just ran it across the back yard. It'll be in the woods this week and that will tell the tale!

I got to ride today and I like the new flywheel, the 4.8 oz was just what I wanted. The bike still has "The hit" but is better in the tight stuff.

Did you get your bike in any really slow, technical 1st gear type situations, Skull1971? Like maybe jumping a log or stump, or anything like that?

I can still get mine to flame out when I do that, every now & then. It's better than it was with the stock flywheel, and even better when I ride on a track (I fondly recall those days of dry, indoor riding..... :thumbsup: ), but didn't make quite the difference on the '06 450 that my Steahly flywheel weight did on my KTM300......

Jimmie

Did you get your bike in any really slow, technical 1st gear type situations, Skull1971? Like maybe jumping a log or stump, or anything like that?

I can still get mine to flame out when I do that, every now & then. It's better than it was with the stock flywheel, and even better when I ride on a track (I fondly recall those days of dry, indoor riding..... :thumbsup: ), but didn't make quite the difference on the '06 450 that my Steahly flywheel weight did on my KTM300......

Jimmie

Yes Jimmy I did, and had no problems,, there are a couple places that I haven't been yet that will tell the tale for me. There's one spot that I flame out,,, 7 of 10 times, so I'll know then. My bike only now has about an hour run time on it, so as it loosens up, I'm sure it'll get better.

I just added the GYTR 9 oz off road flywheel and am so pleased with the improvements. The power is so much smoother and the bike doesn't want to stall in the tight stuff anymore. I can ride it in second gear on almost any hill or tight trail and not even need to use the clutch much at all. I also gained a big improvement on deceleration and engine braking. Hardly any chain slap or brake lock up anymore. The bike feels more powerful and seams to have more torque. I really felt like I was on a different bike. Thanks for the advice and I would recommend one of these for any bike. The best mod I have done so far.

Brandon

08 YZ 450F

The heavier flywheel is still not enough for off-road use. I will probably go with a Hinson Steel clutch basket for additional inertia. The Hinson steel basket is about twice the weight of the stock clutch basket. It should last forever too.

I installed the GYTR 9oz flywheel last night on my 08 and went for a ride today. Wow, what a difference. Way better traction and didnt have it stall like it previously did on the trails. :cheers:

Several friends told me that the heavier the better, which seams to be true. Doesn't look like there is any room for anymore weight without hitting the case. Fit perfect and I am very glad I chose the heavier of the 2 flywheels that GYTR offered. Thanks again for the always good advice guys.

Brandon

08 Yamaha YZ426F

The heavier flywheel is still not enough for off-road use. I will probably go with a Hinson Steel clutch basket for additional inertia. The Hinson steel basket is about twice the weight of the stock clutch basket. It should last forever too.
Because the clutch basket turns at only about a third of engine speed, it does not have the ability to add a significant amount of inertia back to the engine. Furthermore, what energy it does return through inertia is reduced by the 3:1 overdrive ratio going back to the crank. A steel basket should be considered on other merits, not the inertia factor. It's just not significant in that regard.

installed the heavier flywheel as well and really happy with it in the woods but still use it on the MX track calms the rear tire down, no complaints.