HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
85xr200r

2t guy may become 4t guy need help

20 posts in this topic

I was looking for a new trail bike to ride (ktm 2t) and may have fallen on a good to great deal. A guy I work with will sell me his 04 yz450f all stock for a $1000 with about 40 hrs. on it. I beleive this to be a very good deal. He has not started the bike in over two years. I am looking for basic info for maint. (oils, filters, Carb cleaning) and tips to set up the bike for trail riding in MI. I am not a 4t guy I have very little smarts about these bikes other than valve adjustments. I have always had 2t when I rode back in the early 90's. I'm looking to do more trail riding over mx but that may happen every so often. As for the woods set up I am 6ft 300lb 44years old and not in good shape yet. Hope you can help me out THANKS jim

$1000 for a good shape YZ450 is worth looking into espacially for what we have in Michigan. I have an 06 so I am not sure about the 4 speed, but gearing is important...I went with 13/51 and I like it with my 5 speed transmission. michelin S12's hold up well, flywheel weight, steering stabilizer , and big tank, bark busters and you are good to go provided the bike is sprung for your weight. As far as suspension, i would go to Tech Care or someone in Michigan that knows how to set your bike up for you. These make good woods bikes with great power.

Oil changes/air filter religiously (every 5 to 7 hours) I agree on maintenance - plan on a top end rebuild after 100 more hours or so, but overall my bike has been very reliable.

I am also looking at a two-stroke as a second bike, but not sure if I would want to replace my 450...love the power and user-friendliness of the motor.

Hope this helps...

stick with 2 stroke lighter, easier maint, cheaper, funner. Trust me I have both.

A well maintained 4t will outlast a well maintained 2t.

That's a good deal. You could always sell it for what you paid for it. BUY IT and if you don't like it sell it for what you paid or more.

The YZF is a very reliable machine. Maintenance on these bikes can be less critical than other brands because the YZF valve train is rock solid AND you will mostly be riding trail. Have had two strokes myself for years but now have this thumper for the last year. Never a problem.

A well maintained 4t will outlast a well maintained 2t.

agreed, but when it comes time for a new topend, the 2t is muuuuch cheaper and easier.

agreed, but when it comes time for a new topend, the 2t is muuuuch cheaper and easier.

Easier? Yes. Cheaper? Not by much if its a 250/300 smoker vs. 450F or 250F. 125 top ends are cheap.

Is it better to go with a spark arrester end cap or slip on and far as keeping it quiet. I have hrd these bikes are load.

Is it better to go with a spark arrester end cap or slip on and far as keeping it quiet. I have hrd these bikes are load.

Look up db dawg or FMF Q4. Lexx MXe too.

If the bike is complete thats a helluva deal. The bikes are not that loud unless you are really getting on them. My 250F has dual Jardines and is not that loud atleast not with my helmet on...:thumbsup:

Where you located?

I would like to get some mid-Michigans guys together for a rideday. I know we still have a foot of snow but we need to start planning...

Yes the bikes complete and all stock. The guy I work with said his wife will not let the son ride she do not want him to get hurt so he's selling. I am in the Birch Run Frankenmuth area.

You will love the 04 YZ. I've had mine for 5 years now, with no problems or regrets. Keep up on oil changes and basic upkeep and the YZ will be as reliable as a trail bike. The only down side might be the 4 speed trans. It's not a problem on the track, but on the trails I find myself wishing for that 5th gear every now and again. Oh yeah, and it eats rear tires.

Easier? Yes. Cheaper? Not by much if its a 250/300 smoker vs. 450F or 250F. 125 top ends are cheap.

Yeah, I would agree. I just did the top end on my yz426, and I got an eBay top end kit for around $160, but I think the top ends in these bikes last for hundreds of hours unless you're a serious racer. The cam chains do need to be replaced more often, but for the newer bikes they are pretty cheap. (under $20, I think) I've read alot of posts where guys with 400's and 426's are just now replacing their top ends. I have no idea how many hours was on mine or if it was still stock, but I could still see cross hatching on the cylinder walls.

I did read an article about the Pro Circuit team, where Mitch Payton said that when they went to the four stroke, it increase the team's costs by about four times. But, they are replacing the motors weekly during the outdoor season, and probably every other race on the supercross side. (maybe every race for the 250's)

But, for the average rider, you will get alot of life out of a top end, so I don't know how much more expensive it actually is. Maybe someone else will chime in with specifics on their long term costs.

i have an 04 450 and love it. (i also have a yz250 and it just sits). i run the stock exhaust and it is not too loud, my riding buddies say it is not bad at all when behind me and cannot be heard over their own machines. it does sound absolutely beautiful from my saddle though.

regarding the 'dreaded' 4 spd- I too was nervous about it but now i love it. i ride about 75% of the time in 2nd or 3rd and rarely shift. Just lay on the power and roll off from corner to corner. if you rap out 4th and are looking for 5th you have to be flying- i believe 4th winds out about 75mph on stock gearing. I picked up a couple of teeth on the rear to help 2nd down low and have no regrets. the bike is powerful enough that 2nd will pull massively from no speed what so ever.

i keep the oil super fresh, the air filter spotlessly clean, the chain clean and lubed and have no problems. it does eat tires up but what 450 does not?

Yes, but chances are that he'll never have to do the top end on the 4-stroke. I've personally seen plenty of yz400f's still ticking just fine on the original top end. Happened to own a yz400f for about a year too that was on the original top end, checked the valves once and were still within spec. For the average weekend rider a well maintained 4-stroke will last nearly forever on the stock internals. With honda 4-strokes being the exception, of course.... lol :thumbsup:

I found a DR. D spark arrestor endd cap for $100 any buddy heard anything bad on them.

I found a DR. D spark arrestor endd cap for $100 any buddy heard anything bad on them.

will arrest sparks but won't necessarily reduce noise. need db dawg for that.