Considering 07 WR450......

I am looking at a low hour 2007 WR450, so I am doing my internet homework on the machine.

I have read there are problems with the frame cracking near the head tube??

Also read there is a problem with the woodruff key and the crank half ??

And the last one I read was that the carburetor access was the worst in the industry??

So other than that have I missed any other problems, and are these problems really as bad as they make it sound in the complaint departments?

thanks

I am looking at a low hour 2007 WR450, so I am doing my internet homework on the machine.

I have read there are problems with the frame cracking near the head tube??

Also read there is a problem with the woodruff key and the crank half ??

And the last one I read was that the carburetor access was the worst in the industry??

So other than that have I missed any other problems, and are these problems really as bad as they make it sound in the complaint departments?

thanks

I have an 07' and have had none of the problems you mentioned. In fact, I love the bike, and wouldn't trade it for any other. The carb is a pain in the a$$ to access though. Also make sure that the air filter cage/ screen has been replaced per the recall. I think the woodruff key issue was on the older WR's not the 07' and up, but I could be wrong.

I have a WR450 F 07, and no problem yet, after all mods (throttle stop, gray wire etc...) it´s a great bike, what you said about the carburator access is truth, you have to remove the tank and everything in order to have a decent acceso to work on it.

2003 had the woodruff key deal, but I don't recall any cracked frames. 2007 is a good bike.

Ok well the woodruff key sounds better, The carb I can probably deal with, the frame cracking has me a bit concerned, I went back and there are some posts on here about that issue. So right now that is the only thing holding back from the purchase, I weigh #250 and that is plenty of stress on any frame, so a frame that has issues with cracking just isn't sounding like a wise decision for me?? I would really like to know how bad of an issue this really is.

thanks

The first I've heard of the cracked Frames is when I read your post. I'm sure these were isolated incidents. If it were a real problem, then it would be all over this forum and a stickie.

I have an 07 and weigh somewhere North of 250 and the Head tube is fine, but I also don't air my bike out much, I like keeping the rubber on the ground!

Carb access is a PITA, but not the worst.. I have only had to do it once, so I might be jaded from the other PITA carbs I have had to do multiple times!

The bike was great after the mods and jetting, oh and the Dr.D exhaust didn't hurt either. But compared to all the work and money I put into my old 99 YZ400F just to make it as good as the 07 WR, the WR was a bargain!

The head tube cracking is a bigger issue on the earlier aluminum frame YZ's. They were not properly welded at the factory. If it is not cracked when you buy it, you should not have an issue.

I haven't touched the carb except to adjust the pilot fuel screw. Never needed to. But I can barely get my hand in even that far to turn it, so I bought a pilot jet screw with a flex handle from R&D. I haven't put it in yet, though.

My 07 came with stiffer springs, front and rear. You will need them. I am going to move up to a 6.2 on the shock, and I am about 230 lbs. Well worth the money.

I weigh 240#'s and am ashamed of myself. I have not experienced any cracks in the frame, and as others have said, this is probably an isolated incident. The 07-11 all have the same frame. There are many people who ride them, so if it were a real problem, more work would be out about it.

Carb access sucks, but once you get it dialed, you only need to adjust fuel screw and idle.

If you weigh 250, you'll need to respring the suspension to get a "great" ride.

What type of riding do you intend to do? This will be your biggest guidance on whether to buy or not.

What will the bike be used for?

Bike will be singletracked, and used for enduro & hare Scrambles, maybe some play days at the motocross track. (not many I am terrible on the track).

Currently ride a KTM 300XC so I am really just looking for a spare bike, something different from the 2 smoker.

What will the bike be used for?

Bike will be singletracked, and used for enduro & hare Scrambles, maybe some play days at the motocross track. (not many I am terrible on the track).

Currently ride a KTM 300XC so I am really just looking for a spare bike, something different from the 2 smoker.

Once you have it resprung, free modded, jetted, and any other trinckets you like, you'll be pleasantly pleased.

As mentioned, the woodruff key has never been an issue after about '03. As to frame cracking, I was surprised to hear that as well, but did read about a couple cases recently and they involved the YZ. Someone above mentioned it was the earlier framed bikes, which may have been the '06 YZ. I have not heard this being a problem with the WR's at all. The frame is extremely sturdy on these bikes. Carb access problem is usually a one time issue. My belief is that the engineers decided where they wanted the carb to sit and then designed the rest of the bike around it. It's really tight quarters in there. Some people claim they can change a variety of jets by leaving the carb in place, but I like room to work with so I always swing the subframe up and remove the shock. Sounds like a hassle, but it's really not too bad. The worst part is just trying to get the boot from the airbox seated on the back of the carb properly when you swing the subframe back down.

Sounds good, I appreciate the reply's. Gonna see if I can work something out on this bike.

thanks

Those are amazing durable bikes. Build quality is a close second to Honda and reliability of the valve train is better. There is no better choice for all around trail riding.

The Honda is slightly more nimble and powerful, but you would struggle to notice it. I ride a lot of both brands, and you can't go wrong with either.