Quiet Exhaust Pipe

Typicaly when you get a quieter muffler you give up a some power. Somebody correct me if need be...

In my experience this is mostly true. Most of the time by them restricting the sound its also restricting the flow.

Its usually louder because its more open and less restrictive which lets the big dog eat.

Really depends on how they silence it though.

I dont know if there is anything quieter than the stock pipe except maybe a stock pipe off another bike. most folks get louder pipes to make more power (sometimes obnoxiously loud)

has your stock pipe been modified? maybe something like this?

http://www.motocross-shop.de/motocross-shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=72&products_id=12954&language=en or

http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/StealthMeBaby.htm or

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=4791

EDIT: yea I did some research I guess these bikes are pretty loud... try the links above, I stand corrected...

Edited by wanawakeboard

I did a little customizing and fit the new style better looking and performing Q4 from the 03-05 yz450 on my bike. It did not bolt right up I had to clearance it a little by the frame and the motor where the midpipe is and move the midpipe mount and weld it in a defferent spot. It looks good, fits nicely now and performs great! I am pretty sure the Q4 they sell for the 426 is just a re-badged Q2. I personally like the looks of the Q4 better and it wasn't too much work to make it fit. Another member on here did it first and that gave me the idea. It is a little fatter and bigger than the stock one but all quiet pipes will be. It doesn't stick out too much just a little below the side panel but all in all looks good.

P5300016.jpg

Here you can see the part that gets close to the motor and needs a little clearancing. I used heat and a socket to dent it in slightly.

P5160116.jpg

Here is the part that is close to the frame and also the shock resivor. When I'm on the bike there is more clearance between the resivor and the pipe. It doesn't effect the shock.

P5160115.jpg

On a 2000 426?! That's funny...

A Q4 will be quite a bit quieter at a limited expense in terms of power.

Ya I thought that was pretty funny too!!! The bike is loud even with ear plugs in....the only thing I will miss is the ATV's pull into the trees when they hear me coming up behind them!?

Does anyone here have any experience with a Dr. D quiet core insert?

2905.jpg

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that it would stifle power somewhat? Does it quiet down a Dr. D a good bit? I have a really good next door neighbor that's mentioned the YZ "sure seems quite a bit louder than yer orange bike was".......

I will repack my Dr. D soon; I have no idea how many hours it has on it. But it certainly sounds like it could use some new junk inside the can..... Just thought about trying the insert, to keep my neighbors happy...... It looks like it would come out easy enough for my "track days".....

Jimmie

I picked up a Pro Moto billet silencer with a spark arrester- The label is stamped right on the removable piece that holds the spark arrestor “Pro Moto Billet YZ426” (Haven’t seen one since).

I have put in the spark arrestor and it is even quiter and it does not back fire. Yes it took out a lot of power but has made riding in the woods possible and fun because other riders tell me my bike is whisper quite now. I am yet to have it measured by a sound meter.

We do ride mx track but its nothing like stock. Solves the problem of the front wheel lifting up all the time. It is a direct fit and I change it depending on where we are going.

By any chance do these corked up bikes with quiet inserts, doing a lot of low rpm & slow speed slogging, have more glowing head pipe incidences than the bikes with more open exhausts? ? I can get mine to glow really easily, in a short period of time, by simply jumping my firewood logs on my property.....? I realize that a glowing header isn't the end of the world as we know it, but I would like to minimize it, if possible...... I ride mostly track, where that's not an issue, but do like to plunk around some...... :rant:

Jimmie

I have a Q2 and a power bomb on my '00 426. It didn't lose much power and it's considerably quieter than the stock exhaust, but without testing, I feel it's probably on the ragged edge of being quiet enough for passing a test. You'd probably have to stay on top of packing religiously to keep it legal all the time.

To be fair though, I haven't noticed any difference in sound over the time I've had it and it's still the original packing with about 75-100 hours on it. I've even raced MX with it and didn't have any trouble keeping up with all the guys with their ridiculously loud exhaust's, so take that for what it's worth.

As was posted earlier, the Q4 looks like it's basically the same part so you could probably expect the same result, but I'd still look at the Q4 over the Q2 today. The Q4 wasn't around when I got my Q2 so that was my best option at the time. I would think the Q4 would have some new technology that could bring the sound down some more, but I don't really know. It does look a little cooler. ?

I've even raced MX with it and didn't have any trouble keeping up with all the guys with their ridiculously loud exhaust's, so take that for what it's worth.

I would think the Q4 would have some new technology that could bring the sound down some more, but I don't really know. It does look a little cooler. ?

This is why I just ordered one. My buddy just put one of these on his 250F. He didn't touch jetting and it still runs great. And it's noticeably quieter. I don't hear him come up behind me anymore. And when I am behind him (not very often ? ) I can barely hear it over my stock exhaust. He says it initially felt slower just cuz it didn't make as much noise.

I was happy with my stock exhaust from a performance perspective. But noise and no S/A is asking for a ticket in the woods.

That is good news...my exhaust is on order, just hope I don't have the play with the carburator, not very good at setting them. The performance with my stock pipe is exceptional... but my wife says she can still here my bike when I ride 5 miles away from camp.

well my Q4 showed up about 30 minutes ago, and believe it or not I'm not busy installing it right now! ?

I THOUGHT the Q4 design was an "open" muffler with some fancy technology to reduce the sound. But when I take the spark arrestor out, I see another baffle down in this pipe, which i was not expecting. I'm going to research this a bit more before I put it on. The reason for this purchase was to add a sparky, not to plug up my exhaust.

My buddy's bike really runs great with a Q4 installed, so I'm trying to be optimistic. But I guess I just didn't see the baffle down in there; otherwise, I would have bought one of those end caps and called it good...

Aaargh...