98 yz400f oil change

I just recently picked up a 98 yz400f and read on a forum that you need to loosen the head bolts to change the oil filter? I am just curious if this is an extra non-needed step and what the purpose is in doing this.... Any advice and guidence would be greatly appreciated!

I just recently picked up a 98 yz400f and read on a forum that you need to loosen the head bolts to change the oil filter? I am just curious if this is an extra non-needed step and what the purpose is in doing this.... Any advice and guidence would be greatly appreciated!
HEADER bolts, not head bolts. Only if it still has the OEM header on it and the pipe gets in the way.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=881284

Yamaha has some things in strange places but thankfully not THAT strange. A new head gasket with every filter change? Honda here id come :)