2008 YZ450 - Off-road Impressions

I'm a loyal Yamaha 4-stroke owner. I've had a 2000 WR450, 2001 YZ426, 2007 WR450 and now a lightly used 2008 YZ450. Took it out for my first ride a few days ago and came away thrilled with my decision to go back to a motocross machine.

Other than a skidplate and handlebar risers, the bike is in stock trim.

Suspension = Awesome. Way better than my 07 WR. Turns when and where you want it to and eats up the rocks and harsh bumps. I ended up going 3 clicks in on the rebound and 3 clicks out on the compression.

Power = Not mind blowing, but the more I rode, the more impressed I was. The low end is weak but adequate (I have a slip-on ordered), the mid and top end is more than sufficient for my riding style and weight - I'm 185 with gear.

What really impressed me is how well it climbed steep, rocky trails in 1st and 2nd gear. The gearing is stock and I was expecting the typical "motocross bike in the mountains" experience (harsh suspension, abrupt power and lots of stalling). Instead, I was able to stand up, lean forward and slowly pick my way through the rocks and ledges and up the mountain. It was almost too easy. What a great mountain horse!

I can't wait to ride some more.:smirk:

Don't want to bust your bubble but the 08 needs a full system to maximize effect. An 06 cdi really helps with low end also. To top it off you may want to install a Rekluse Pro autoclutch.

I also believe that my 09 is by far the best dirtbike I have owned to date.

i've had my 2008 yz250f for about a year and a half now. I ride moto and have gotten my suspension done, but my motor/exhaust is stock. I have read up and down that the stock pipe on that bike is garbage. If i went to a full system would the difference really be that noticeable? I don't ever feel like it's lacking power, but definitely notice how much harder i have to work then others on 450s to do the same things.

What makes the difference between a full system and a slip-on muffler considering the 08 has a bigger stock head pipe than previous models?

I have a 08 as well. Great off road machine. My set up is full dr d pipe. 9oz gytr flywheel. and the rekluse exp core. I didn't like the z start pro makes it kinda feel like a mo ped. Its def not the fastest bike out there but the mellow power band makes it good in the burly stuff and or wet rooty rocks ect. great bike. I keep thinking about getting a new 010 but just donno if it would live up to my 08.

I have a 08 as well. Great off road machine. My set up is full dr d pipe. 9oz gytr flywheel. and the rekluse exp core. I didn't like the z start pro makes it kinda feel like a mo ped. Its def not the fastest bike out there but the mellow power band makes it good in the burly stuff and or wet rooty rocks ect. great bike. I keep thinking about getting a new 010 but just donno if it would live up to my 08.

Explain the not liking the pro and moped feel

What makes the difference between a full system and a slip-on muffler considering the 08 has a bigger stock head pipe than previous models?

That's exactly the problem. The '08 has an overly fat header as a effort to compensate for the restrictive exhaust. Once a reasonably free flowing muffler is in place, the '08-'09 headers are too big to provide optimum performance. For that reason, complete systems will outperform slip-ons, even though most slip-ons are an improvement over stock.