XR650L uncorking

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here, I currently ride an 02 XR650R, but am writing this for a friend with a 650L. I have done an uncork to an L before, but lost my specifications.

I remember UNI filter, top off the air box, grind the exhaust welds(or was that on the XR400??). What is the recommended jetting for a 600ft from sea level area, and what size drill bit for the diaphram? 5/32"?? :)

Thanks everyone

Rob

Look at the Baja Designs site they have not been wrong with my XRL. :):D

Yeah , 5/32" drill on the slide ,55 pilot (slow jet)160 main anddont forget to remove the restrictor tab on the mixture screw when you have the float bowl off .... oh and shim the needle .040" :)

Hey Motochris, I have a question. I have the exact settup you just mentioned 160/55 but have the Dynojet needle and still have a little hesitation on the bottom end from 1/4 throttle to 3/8 throttle. It certainly helped when i went from the stock pilot to the 55 though. I am 2 turns out on the mixture screw at around 800 feet about sea level. Any thoughts as to why?? I need to check the plug yet but i want to run a little longer to get an accruate reading.

I have a complete description of setting up a XR650L for long distance travel, including uncorking. As an afternote- the 165 main was good at sea level but way too rich up high (no surprise). A 155 main worked well from sea level to 16000 feet in Peru.

Go to www.sopgear.com and click on the South America link.

Drill the slide 5/32. I tried the Dynojet kit, and while it's a big improvement over stock, I got better power using the stock needle shimmed, and genuine Keihin jets. (55-158)

Hey uw153 ,what is your exhaust set-up(stock or ?)and what about the air box / filter ? I have the dyno jet kit also and they recommend not to modify the air box other than the filter.I also have a Pro-Circiut pipe.I ride at 1000-4000 ft usually.I've had no problems with hesitation. :)

Exhaust is stock, airbox snorkel removed. Before I removed the snorkel it was a little lean on the bottem end but ripped on the top. Just by removing the snorkel I got a lot more oomph on the bottom end. I had the stumble off idle with the snorkel in also. Now I found out my stator is bad. Great, that's all I needed was more problems with this thing. Looks like my Suzuki will be getting quite a few more miles now.

I HAVE A FMF POWER BOOM HEADER AND A FMF (Q) MUFFLER USED ON 3 RIDES FOR SALE WILL HELP YOU OUT PAYED 575.00 NEW WILL SALE FOR 375.00 Ggvjohnson@aol.com :)

So far the XR doesn't run bad enough to justify $375.00 for power mods. YET. I have to replace the stator which will probably cost almost as much. So much for any extra cash I might have. BTW why are you getting rid of it??

SOLD MY XR650 AND THE GUY WHO BOUGHT IT WENT WITH THE WHITE BROTHERS HEADER AND MUFFLER THAT I HAD ON IT. WHITE BROTHERS DIDNT PASS NOISE LEVEALS, SO I CARRIED THE FMF (Q) AND POWER BOMB HEADER JUST IN CASE.