Parts compatibility? '03YZ vs. '05WR

Hey guys... this is probably a quick question for those "in the know", but a friend of mine is looking at buying an '05 WR450 (in like-new condition) to prep for Baja. He's trying to figure out how much stuff from an '03 YZ would fit on the '05 WR. Things like triple clamps, skid plates, frame guards, seat, etc.

He has a few bikes and I guess when he was researching parts to swap, he was finding year limitations for things like his skid plates, but can't confirm if they use the same frame... the '03 YZ and the '05 WR.

Thanks in advance for any insight and sorry this is second-hand... for some reason, I haven't been able to get him involved with the forum.

Thanks!

Pretty much all the parts you listed will fit from the YZ, except for the seat! The WR seat has some of the plastic on the bottom cut out to accomodate the space for the battery.

Everything else will fit, since the 03-06 WRs and 03-05 YZs are identical.

Some small changes were made to the WR throughout the years, like the smaller fuel tank (plus longer seat), but the combo you've got shoulld easily be all swappable!

Hey guys... this is probably a quick question for those "in the know", but a friend of mine is looking at buying an '05 WR450 (in like-new condition) to prep for Baja. He's trying to figure out how much stuff from an '03 YZ would fit on the '05 WR. Things like triple clamps, skid plates, frame guards, seat, etc.

He has a few bikes and I guess when he was researching parts to swap, he was finding year limitations for things like his skid plates, but can't confirm if they use the same frame... the '03 YZ and the '05 WR.

The frames are slightly different. The WR mounts the skid plate differently, and most plates from YZ450's will likely not fit. They will certainly not bolt up directly. Frame guards may fit.

The '05 WR uses the same basic fork as the '04 YZ, and it's a 48mm fork vs. a 46mm on the '03 YZ450, so the clamps will not fit. You could install the complete front fork from the YZ using the '03 clamps, but this would be a step backward unless the YZ front end has been seriously upgraded. Your best bet is to use the '05 fork and have the Phase 4 kit from SMART Performance installed. This will bring the WR fork up to par with some of the best stuff out there. If you want, Dave at SMART will sell you the kit and you can install it yourself. Either route is much less expensive than you probably think, too.

The seat from the YZ won't fit. The WR/YZF seats are each a match to the tank they are used with, for one thing, and then there is that cutout for the battery. I think the foam base and the cover can be swapped over, though, if you are that ambitious.

As far as the engine goes, everything from the top of the YZF will bolt onto the WR, but the WR e-starter has reportedly had some trouble cranking the engine off with the YZ cams in it.

The CDI's are also not interchangeable, as the electrical systems on the two bikes are entirely different.