06 yz450f keeps blowing fork seals

my 06 yz450f is on its 3rd set of fork seals and they need replaced again. i bought the bike new in late 09 as a dealer leftover. so just last season all this happened. any ideas on what can be causing this or any way to prevent this from happening every 3 rides. i bleed the forks after every ride to get out excess air.

Some of the OEM replacement seals for the YZF were of a low drag design intended to reduce friction. This they do, but they don't seal very well. The fork seals for an '08 KXF450 fit right in (same fork) and are a good deal more aggressive. You can also order KYB's best fork seals from Dave Johnson at SMART Performance.

Mechanically, chronic fork seal failures can be caused by loose bushings (especially with the factory seals) or by small nicks or burrs on the inner tubes. If you find a nick or scratch that you can feel with a fingernail, you should sand it over with 320-400 grit wet sand paper, using mineral spirits to wet it.

Be sure the dust seals are in good shape, too, and get into the habit of cleaning under them every couple of rides. I always wipe a bead of bearing grease around the fork tube before I pull the dust seals up into place. The grease serves to intercept intruding dirt before it gets to the oil seals, and really does help.

Mud is the arch-enemy of fork seals. Wipe the tubes clean between rides/motos. Even water spots are a problem.

Remember that proper fork alignment with the axel greatly extends fork seal and bushing life. You'll know your forks are not aligned after a while as striations will show up on the inner tube where they rub the most.

Alot of people skip this part and then wonder why there seals are blown after only 10 hours of ride time...

you should clean your fork thoroughly after every ride and take off your forks and feel them for the tinyest of nichs or scratches and sand them down with very light sandpaper

next time your seals blow make sureall your bushings arent able so come off. also if your spring rates arent set up for you and you bottom out your forks off every jump that could be a contributing factor. setting up harder suspension will make it less likely to blow out seals

I've had good results with MSR seals I put in last year.....prior to that I used oem's and they leaked within a month.
I've used the red MSR's before, and I like their dust seals better than OEM. They were definitely better than OEM from Yamaha, but still not as good as the latest KYB seals from Dave have been.

One more option is to tighten the seal spring. Just pull the dust cap down and use a small scredriver to pull the spring that goes around the seal up in the fork. Once it is down the leg find the end of the spring and unwind them. Then clip off about 1/2" from the female side of the spring, reassemble. This has done wonders multiple times for extending the seal life. It just increases the preload on the seal that gives the sealing.

Good luck

Another thought, when you haul your bike do you use a fork saver?? I know on bikes that are hauled with the forks squished all the way down the seals will blow out very quick.

Dustin

That falls under the heading of Bovine Scatology, or as the Marines in the field say, "BS".

I haul mine around with the forks compressed all the time, and have no such problem.