HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BAJAB

Gear selection for riding baja ?

3 posts in this topic

I ride a yz426 and have recently started doing some baja riding. Many of you have given me some great info either directly or indirectly, and I really appreciate it. Obviously, my bike isn't setup perfectly to ride baja. The bike is mostly stock, and short of getting a 650, what can I do to my 426 to make it more baja friendly? I'm especially interested in gearing, tire selection, and exhaust. Thanks...Brian

Im a Red Rider with a bit of Orange envy-so not sure of all the details for Blue, but some general guidlines for any mid-size bike going to baja would be: Go down 2 teeth (from stock) on your rear sprocket--get some tuff off road tires: Dunlop 606, 739AT, Michelin S12,Desert or Baja, Pirelli MT 18, 21, Maxxis IT (or wait for their new desert tire to come out)....

Get some 8 oz flywheel weights...rewind your stator for lights, get a steering dampner , not sure about the best pipes for your bike.

Tires (Adobe, Asphalt or Sand?), flywheel weights (Ziptye.com), dampner (RTT), and sprocket (Ironman) will make a big difference.

Not a lot of 85 foot triples around Laguna Hanson, so go super soft on the suspension...definately click the compression clickers back 3-5 clicks and rebound 2-3 as well-front and rear. Might want to lighten the weight of the fork oil to 3 or 5 weight, and add 5-10 mm as well.

Add at least 3 gallons/100 miles of fuel tank , and then get some lights (rickystator.com, bajadesigns.com), and you have a real nice Baja bike. This would apply to just about any 250, or 400+cc bike.

Take a 1 litre Camelback with some tools, spares, map, matches, flashlight, flat repair, and you are off to Mike's with the best of em... :)

Thanks Irondude....I'm going to do some mods right away. Can't wait to get back to baja! Brian