OEM filter vs. Twin Air filter. PICS

Hi, Ttr250dude!

Here's a reply from a very "low-Tech" individual that may or may not help. I apologize in advance if it's not accurate, wrong, or doesn't help. I can put images in my posts, but can't always explain stuff very well..... :rant:

When you want to put a photo in with a post, just use the "Insert Image" dealie right above the box you type your text in. Now, as far as I know, the picture you want to show up in your post has to already be out there in cyberspace, on a website, or a photo hosting server, or whatever. Copy the URL address of the photo you wish to show, doing the "Control+C" thing. Next, click on the yellow icon with a mountain in it (sorta looks like a post card to me....). It opens up a dialog box. Paste ("Control+V") the URL address you copied into that dialog box, and then click OK. Basically, you're going to have your image's url addy bracketed with a "Fake Web Address"......

Here's Yamaha's latest entry to the outdoor mx nationals....

yamaha-yl1-1968.jpg

But I couldn't get this to work with your web addy to your facebook pics. You may wanna try posting them to a webshots or photobucket type of photo hosting service..... ?

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober
fixed a fat-fingered typo.....

But I couldn't get this to work with your web addy to your facebook pics.

The trouble with posting pics here from Facebook is that in order to see them, you have to sign into Facebook first. The picture otherwise won't show up, and there are any number of us who just don't have a Facebook account (and aren't about to create one)

I have posted Facebook pics before, and was never told by anyone that they couldn't be seen. If I open the pic, then right-click and choose properties, copy the URL address, and paste that in, everyone seems to be able to see them.

Can everyone see this Facebook pic? If not, then my bad.

66267_1603935747470_1508402399_31568796_1530961_n.jpg

Edited by jcm3

I'm guessing that's the old NoToil, or some other kinda red flavored oil doing that to your filter......

I've got a TwinAir Filter in mine also, and my BelRay filter oil makes it a cute "Smurf Blue' color.... :rant:

Actually, it was kinda nice seeing your pics of the stock filter, then the TwinAir. I'm not certain how much difference the smaller filter/more dead air space combo makes; it's probably more discernible by noise rather than performance.... ?

But back on the oil subject again.... Grayracer513 said something in one of his recent posts that triggered an old, inactive brain cell my Goober brain... Back shortly after the earth's crust cooled, I was in a small engine repair class. We saw a movie on air filters, put out by Filtron, I believe. Anyway, the gist of what I can recall from that movie was that the foam only serves to stop "big chunks" from getting in your intake, and to hold the real filtering media. The OIL is the media that actually catches & stops the particles from getting in. The oil is the filter.

And here's where Gray's post helped me the most: He said he wanted the stickiest, gooiest, oil he could get, and oil that stayed in that condition as long as possible. You want something with the qualities of a 'booger on your finger ya can't shake off", and doesn't "dry up" over time. More or less....

I'd been using the red NoToil, because of it's ease of clean up. But anytime my bike sat idle for, say, a couple of weeks or more, the air filter (the oil, remember ? ) was no very longer tacky or sticky. ? Since the bike was a KTM, and their filters are so easy to get to, I simply cleaned it more frequently. (Side note here: Don't buy NoToil's powder soap cleaner. Use Oxy5, or something similar. They're the same thing, only cheaper & easier to get....? ) Grayracer513's post about his reasons for using Maxima were understandable. I haven't been able to try Maxima filter oil, but BelRay's blue colored stuff is really sticky, and seems to stay that way for a good while. They are a slightly more work to clean than the NoToil or similar stuff, but if they catch more junk, and stay tacky for a while, it's worth it to me..... Now if I could figure out how to oil my filter without overoiling it.... Sigh... Seems like I do that almost everytime I oil the goofy things..... ?

Jimmie