2010 YZ450f Valve Clearances

I think I'm at 27 hours now, checked the valves at 22 and there was no movement as far as I could tell.

I might have checked them wrong, and I learned a new technique to using feeler gauges more precisely, I'm going to check the valves again here pretty quick.

Just an update I checked my valves and they are indeed "Out".

Intake

0.12mm 0.09mm

Exhaust

0.24mm 0.29mm

The spec in the book is Intake 0.10-0.15mm clearance

Exhaust 0.20-0.25mm

I should be in the clear once I do the valve set, but a whole new wack of problems as I think I stripped the valve cover bolt, and inside the spark plug boot was some dirt, once I pulled the plug it dropped into the piston. Ahh the joys of having a dirty hobby.

• 2 months later...

Update for my bike, 29.5 hours with lots of WOT, hill climbs, slow and hot. Bike has been ridden fairly hard, just trying to indicate that it has not been babied at lower RPM's or anything.

Intake

I don't have a full set of feeler gauges, so I could only measure .13mm to .15mm and .10mm. The clearance is at .11-.12mm for both. .15, .14 and .13 would not fit, and .10 would, so like i said somewhere inbetween.

Exhaust

Both are exactly

.23mm

I had a small set with only a few sizes, but I did alot of combining of gauges to get specific clearances. To check for .13 I would combine a .06 and a .07. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea let me know and I'll try and find a full set with individual clearances.

Pretty happy, looks like things are good and my maint seems to be up to par.

Update for my bike, 29.5 hours with lots of WOT, hill climbs, slow and hot. Bike has been ridden fairly hard, just trying to indicate that it has not been babied at lower RPM's or anything.

Intake

I don't have a full set of feeler gauges, so I could only measure .13mm to .15mm and .10mm. The clearance is at .11-.12mm for both. .15, .14 and .13 would not fit, and .10 would, so like i said somewhere inbetween.

Exhaust

Both are exactly

.23mm

I had a small set with only a few sizes, but I did alot of combining of gauges to get specific clearances. To check for .13 I would combine a .06 and a .07. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea let me know and I'll try and find a full set with individual clearances.

Pretty happy, looks like things are good and my maint seems to be up to par.

Please spend the 8 dollars on a "full" good set!!! You'll get a better feel than doubling up on um.

Sorry for the bad spelling but doubling up on them is a bad method to use when you're dealing with such similar increments. A slightly "not straight" blade put against another blade will represent something larger than you think. YOU CANNOT SEE IT either ?. In the net result.....Just use one blade and get some quality, accurate, tappet blades.