Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skullcandy

2010 YZ450f Valve Clearances

18 posts in this topic

Im just waiting on some proto offset feeler guages, just wondering if you owners with 10s have checked your valves and had any movement?

Thanks guys

nope its a yamaha :smirk: 38 hrs: no change. Theres a few others on here with many more hours than that with no adjusments needed.

nope its a yamaha :smirk: 38 hrs: no change. Theres a few others on here with many more hours than that with no adjusments needed.

Show of hands....

How many of you remember before the 2010 came out, when there was all the abject fear that a four valve head would suddenly turn the YZF into a valve eater?

:rant:

I think I'm at 27 hours now, checked the valves at 22 and there was no movement as far as I could tell.

I might have checked them wrong, and I learned a new technique to using feeler gauges more precisely, I'm going to check the valves again here pretty quick.

Mine is at 30 and mine hadnt moved none. someone on here had 100 and theirs hadnt needed adjusting. I just wanted to check mine to see how hard it was to get the valve cover gasket off.

Its a lot easier and a lot easier to get to the valves than the 06 was.

Just an update I checked my valves and they are indeed "Out".

Intake

0.12mm 0.09mm

Exhaust

0.24mm 0.29mm

The spec in the book is Intake 0.10-0.15mm clearance

Exhaust 0.20-0.25mm

I should be in the clear once I do the valve set, but a whole new wack of problems as I think I stripped the valve cover bolt, and inside the spark plug boot was some dirt, once I pulled the plug it dropped into the piston. Ahh the joys of having a dirty hobby.

Update for my bike, 29.5 hours with lots of WOT, hill climbs, slow and hot. Bike has been ridden fairly hard, just trying to indicate that it has not been babied at lower RPM's or anything.

Intake

I don't have a full set of feeler gauges, so I could only measure .13mm to .15mm and .10mm. The clearance is at .11-.12mm for both. .15, .14 and .13 would not fit, and .10 would, so like i said somewhere inbetween.

Exhaust

Both are exactly

.23mm

I had a small set with only a few sizes, but I did alot of combining of gauges to get specific clearances. To check for .13 I would combine a .06 and a .07. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea let me know and I'll try and find a full set with individual clearances.

Pretty happy, looks like things are good and my maint seems to be up to par.

Update for my bike, 29.5 hours with lots of WOT, hill climbs, slow and hot. Bike has been ridden fairly hard, just trying to indicate that it has not been babied at lower RPM's or anything.

Intake

I don't have a full set of feeler gauges, so I could only measure .13mm to .15mm and .10mm. The clearance is at .11-.12mm for both. .15, .14 and .13 would not fit, and .10 would, so like i said somewhere inbetween.

Exhaust

Both are exactly

.23mm

I had a small set with only a few sizes, but I did alot of combining of gauges to get specific clearances. To check for .13 I would combine a .06 and a .07. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea let me know and I'll try and find a full set with individual clearances.

Pretty happy, looks like things are good and my maint seems to be up to par.

Please spend the 8 dollars on a "full" good set!!! You'll get a better feel than doubling up on um.

Sorry for the bad spelling but doubling up on them is a bad method to use when you're dealing with such similar increments. A slightly "not straight" blade put against another blade will represent something larger than you think. YOU CANNOT SEE IT either :thumbsup:. In the net result.....Just use one blade and get some quality, accurate, tappet blades.

I would have easily spent 8$ here on a decent set, if you could find one!

Only place to get a decent guage set is online...

I didn't think that it was such a bad idea...

Where and who makes a really good set for checking valves? I have a few sets and none of them are what I think they should be.

I use the normal, standard width, straight blade 4" feeler gauges. Not a problem.

Where and who makes a really good set for checking valves? I have a few sets and none of them are what I think they should be.
Snap-On, Matco....Or General. Around 8- 12 bucks depending.

I see some people are reading them out rather than in. they get tighter not looser this isn't a lifter motor Its dohc....