Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
geedavell

California
C.A.R.B. Gas Cans

102 posts in this topic

I 've been riding street bikes for many years but just started riding dual sport again. I was wondering what the deal is with these new gas cans. My local dealer says i can get a ticket from BLM if i use the old style gas cans. Anyone ever get a ticket?

I 've been riding street bikes for many years but just started riding dual sport again. I was wondering what the deal is with these new gas cans. My local dealer says i can get a ticket from BLM if i use the old style gas cans. Anyone ever get a ticket?

Get a new dealer he just wants to sell you some thing for more money. we fill dump cans in front of the BLM out of reagular cans and have never had any hassel

My local dealer says i can get a ticket from BLM if i use the old style gas cans. Anyone ever get a ticket?

We all know there is a CARB rule against sellling non-vapor capturing gas cans.

The question is; is there a law against using non-vapor caputuring cans for gas? Shops still sell old style gas cans as long as the are not Red (gas) or Green (desiel). There is probably an Cal-OSHA law against filling a non-red can with gas.

If they are not RED they are NOT gas cans.

So far the only place I have seen ticketing is Glamis. Heard other locations are starting as well. Revenue generation my friends.

been pulled over on the highway for having the white can... He just gave me a warning and said to just pull the hose off and put a plug in there when im not using it. He didnt say anything about it being white and not red.

been pulled over on the highway for having the white can... He just gave me a warning and said to just pull the hose off and put a plug in there when im not using it. He didnt say anything about it being white and not red.

Who pulled you over? CHP, Local Police, Sheriff? And Was that why you were pulled over because of the gas cans?

From what I understand, the old style red cans can still be used. However, you cannot buy them anymore around CA. Which kinda sucks. You should have no problem with the cans if they are true, red gas cans.

After searching the carb website, all I could find is requirements for new cans. Doesn't say anywhere that the old style cans may not be used. Fill'em up and use them til they quit working.

Who pulled you over? CHP, Local Police, Sheriff? And Was that why you were pulled over because of the gas cans?

It was the CHP, he must of had a really slow day lol. That was the only reason he pulled me over, he asked if I knew why, I said no and he said gas can:bonk:

1 person likes this

CHP is pulling over kids with prerunners and ticketing for open intakes. Look for CHP to become an extension of the CARB more and more.

Revenue generation my friends.

my brothers buddy got a ticket for $600 by CHP for three cans not proper gas cans. I just went riding with a group of cops and not one of them heard about the new law and they all were using the cans that we all use. go figure.

I buy stuff from my local motorcycle shop (Cycle Parts West). One of the guys there was ticketed in Ocotillo. But they were a roudy crowd, being loud and drinking. He got a $200 ticket. He was told the same thing as mentioned above, take the hose off and plug the hole. He told me to just do that and I should be fine. I put a plastic ball valve on mine right at the can and then the rubber hose. It now has a safety shut off valve when I remove the hose for transport or even leave the can around camp.

A couple of bucks at Home Depot can save you a ticket. (So I'm told)

1 person likes this

When the reg was put in place the old cans were grandfathered in. They still are unless something changed. If you have a newer can then yes you can be cited and yes it can be expensive.

If someone would just make a decent compliant gas can I would buy one. Every one that I have seen is just useless.

It was the CHP, he must of had a really slow day lol. That was the only reason he pulled me over, he asked if I knew why, I said no and he said gas can:bonk:

No one likes them very much! RB

It goes like this... Gas cans are RED and at a point years ago started having non vented pour spots. Utility cans can be any color and were being marketed as generic non fuel cans in CA and as fuel cans in other states... so CARB put gas can type restrictions on the utility cans because we were all using them as fuel cans.

While your old RED gas can is grandfathered in, your use of a utility can with an open spout as a fuel can is now illegal. Hence Paul getting nailed for his lack of CARB spout. Had he put water in the utility can it would have been a non issue.

All my cans were due for replacing after many years of use. I just went to Moellers latest gen gas cans and have had good luck with them for the past few months. I can tell the nozzles won't last the life of the can. But it's the first CARB nozzle that works and helps me NOT spill gas all over my Honda generators.

Moeller Scepter - Pep Boys $17-$19

moeller.gif

I may have to give one of those cans a try Bolt as my old cans are also showing their age.

I just struggle with the new can I have. So it takes 5 minutes to poor a gallon. PITA

I have a couple of small gas cans with the carb spout. Spill way more using that stupid thing than I do with my Utility jug.