HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2strokeYardSale

Trials tire on a YZ250: first ride

36 posts in this topic

I put a Michelin X11 Trial Competition 4.00x18 tube type, with a Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tube, on the 18" Warp 9 rear wheel of my 2006 YZ250. I ran it at 10 psi. I've never ridden on a trials tire before.

The terrain was high desert singletrack but with more wider, faster, whooped out trails than expected.

1178609954_twCFw-M.jpg

1178611995_mTeAp-M.jpg

:thumbsup:

It's a game-changer on hills with rocks and roots, especially small, loose rocks. Instead of spin and hook, spin and hook like a knobby, it just rolls forward with no drama. It's kind of an eerie feeling charging up a hill with 100% forward momentum and the engine never suddenly gaining revs due to wheelspin. If I click down a gear and get on the pipe, it will mostly hook and sometimes spin, lofting the front wheel up the hill.

In the sand it's about the same as a knobby, maybe not as good a new soft terrain knobby.

I deliberately took the snottiest lines up this snowy, muddy, watery trail, and the tire just shrugged it off.

1178610237_Z3zAZ-M.jpg

It will brake slide and square off corners but it requires more rider input to do so. It probably took me one-half hour to one hour to adapt to this.

Full Ride Picture Album

1 person likes this

yep, for any ride that involves lots of rocks, you cannot beat a trials tire. This has been my experience.

The trials tire wasn't banned from enduro-cross because they suck.

Do they last as long as a knobbie does?

I am interested in trying one myself.

General consensus is that they last MUCH longer than a knobby. Bike, terrain, riding style etc all come into play, but I know some guys claim a trials tire will last as long as 6+ knobbies. Some of it is because of how a trials tire gets a good amount of it's traction, enveloping the trail surface. It doesn't require a razor sharp edge to grip, so even worn and rounded it will continue to perform quite well.

1 person likes this

General consensus is that they last MUCH longer than a knobby. Bike, terrain, riding style etc all come into play, but I know some guys claim a trials tire will last as long as 6+ knobbies. Some of it is because of how a trials tire gets a good amount of it's traction, enveloping the trail surface. It doesn't require a razor sharp edge to grip, so even worn and rounded it will continue to perform quite well.

Thanks Adam. :thumbsup:

The trials tire wasn't banned from enduro-cross because they suck.

I have been wondering about this but hadn't asked or checked the rules. I mean, with guys like Geoff Aaron running E-Cross, why don't they run these tires?

... Now I know, they're banned.

A buddy of mine has the same Michelin trials tire on his KTM 300. We ride almost exclusively high mountain single track terrain. His only complaints were: 1) Doesn't clean out as well as a knobby in the spring muddy conditions 2) He was concerned about pinch flats on rocks because of the soft sidewalls, so he added run flat inserts (which were a PITA to install).

Other than those couple things he loves it all around.

Hmmm sounds interesting.

So most agree that trial tires are good if not better than mx tires in enduro or technical trails?

My cousin does a lot of trail riding where he will use one. However he took it out to the desert dirt, and riding knife blade ridges the tire would just break loose and slide off the ridge, and didn't have enough overal traction in the soft stuff. only good for rocks and places of hard pack imo, mountainous trails etc.

I run a pirelli mt43 trials tire on my 06 yz250 --I also have a wheel set up with a knobby so I change them out depending on the conditions.

I would have to say the place where the trials tire really shines is on roots (and rocks of course) --but slippery roots like we have here in the single track in NC are nasty --and the trials tire grips them and goes right over them --you don't have to have as much momentum as you do with the knobby.

I have my trials tire on 80% of the time --and I race with it (pirelli is dot approved but you give up some of the "gription". It also wears like iron --i get 3x as many rides /races on a trials tire as a knobby.

It does struggle on grass, flat turns and real muddy conditions because it does not clean itself out well --i found that out last weekend with some nasty nc clay (nothing really good on that stuff)

My experience on a trials tire on my 95 XR250 is exactly like the previous posters. Excellent on any hard terrain, rocks, roots, etc. but not as good as a knobby in mud, especially when trying to tractor out of a muddy rut. The lack of side knobbies makes pulling out of wet muddy ruts a but more, um, challenging!

The best choice is to have a knobby and a trials tire on hand and run the knobby if it's wet and muddy that day, that's what I'm doing.

Fred

1 person likes this

So they don't make a trials tire in 19" ?

No. Some people claim they do, but they DO NOT. They make speedway tires that look simular to a trials tire, but they are worlds apart. The speedway tire is very stiff, with a very hard tread. I bought one, never bothered mounting it, and gave it away.

Last summer I was wanting to try a trials tire out for my yz. I had a worn out kenda k-335 ice tire that wasnt holding screws anymore, so I pulled the screws and liner out of it ran it for one ride in some old coal hills that had a combination of loose gravel/rocks with some wooded trails w/roots. At 9psi I was impressed. I wasn't expecting it to have suck good traction. What really stood out was how well I could control slides on flat hard packed corners(must be why they're used in ovals :smirk: ). So after that I got myself a Dunlop 803 and an 18" wheel which I've been very happy with.

Extremely dry yes. Wet, well, what does?

I know for sure that using trials tires has paid for the wheel in tire savings. They last at least two knobbys if not three.

I use a knobby saturated conditions. But a trials tires shines most of the time.

A note on the Warp nine wheel. Mine went through a couple sets of bearings pretty quickly until I measured the pipe in the center and found it a bit short. I found some washers to shim it up before installing the next set of bearing and JB welded them to the end of the pipe. I have had no further issues other than a few broken spokes. They don't have the most robust spokes.

My wheel is an 07. Maybe the new ones have been addressed.

Maybe I'm just a thrasher. I've only busted three or four. But I've yet to have the same problem with my other wheels.

Extremely dry yes. Wet, well, what does?

I know for sure that using trials tires has paid for the wheel in tire savings. They last at least two knobbys if not three.

I use a knobby saturated conditions. But a trials tires shines most of the time.

A note on the Warp nine wheel. Mine went through a couple sets of bearings pretty quickly until I measured the pipe in the center and found it a bit short. I found some washers to shim it up before installing the next set of bearing and JB welded them to the end of the pipe. I have had no further issues other than a few broken spokes. They don't have the most robust spokes.

My wheel is an 07. Maybe the new ones have been addressed.

same experience as shagger on the trials tire. Had an 07 warp 9 also --ate up a set of bearings --actually destroyed the hub --sent it back and they replaced for free. had it for 2 years since then and it's been great --no problems on the spokes --check them every ride and they never budge.

fyi--if you want a serious set of spokes --send your rim to buchanan spokes and have them lace it up --I did it on my stock rim and man those spokes are strong (70 in/lb)

I wonder if trials hook up well in red clayey soils, especially when the clay is soupy wet or even extremely dry like powder that is equally just as slippery.

Anyone knows?

Thanks!

Sounds like I know where you ride hehe:ride: