HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sledtrash

Crank Case questions 06 YZ450

4 posts in this topic

So I have my 450 tore apart and when I was mating the cases back up I ran into some issues at home, and I had to leave the cases not fully mated for about twenty mins, my question is this...

Will this silicone adhesive still seal properly when the sealant sat on the case and dried?

IMG_6219.jpg

I went ahead and mated the cases and torqued to specs, and after all was said and done I found this little guy on the floor next to my work table... Is this bike related? or is it something random in my garage?

IMG_6225.jpg

IMG_6220.jpg

Thanks guys!!

That part looks to be from the end of the gearbox shift cam for the neutral gear sensor. It fits into a hole there with a spring behind it to apply pressure. You shouldn't need to split the cases again to fit it.

That part looks to be from the end of the gearbox shift cam for the neutral gear sensor. It fits into a hole there with a spring behind it to apply pressure. You shouldn't need to split the cases again to fit it.

So I'll just have to pull the neutral switch off of the outside and put it and the spring that was conveniently sitting close to it back in? Earlier I looked on the parts schematics but I couldn't find it. But now that you say that I see where it should go, the small diagram on the schemtic doesn't look like what I have but I'm sure thats it.

Thanks man.

The other question I had. Will those cases seal up fine even though the yamaha gasket sealer I put on had mostly set up by the time I was able to slide the cases together??

I've never actually tried putting the spring and pin in via the switch opening, but I don't see why it wouldn't work (and I'm glad you found the spring). Let us know how you go for future reference!

And I can't really say about the sealant - I'm not sure if it is meant to act like a rubber gasket that relies on pressure for sealing, or whether it is meant to act like a contact adhesive and glue the joint closed. Perhaps you could put a small amount of lightweight oil into the semi-assembled engine and see if it weeps from the joints.