Stripping down the WR for Harescrambles

Anyone stripped their WR down of all the non-essential wiring, lights, battery, kick stand, computer and pick up line to front hub,etc? I bet all that weighs quite a bit.

Besides exhaust system, Anything else to make it the lightest it can be for harescrambles?

Any tips?

I'm in the process of doing that myself! On the same bike as yours! Here is a few of items I'm planning on removing or replacing to lighten the load.

1. Kickstand

2. Titanium rear spring (needed different rate anyhow)

3. Aluminum rear sprocket

4. YZ rear fender (surprisingly lighter than the WR's)

5. Remove overflow tank

6. Opened up airbox (more for airflow, but it does lighten it)

7. TurnTech battery

8. YZ front numberplate

9. Remove Headlight

10. Remove computer & associated hardware, including drive sensor

11. Replace drive unit with Flatland racing cover

Even after removing all of that gear, I'll bet I didn't lose any weight. Once you figure in all the weight added with Handguards, Skidplate, and radiator guards. And I figure these are must have items! If you really want that WR to feel light, all you've got to do is race a DRZ for a season! Then that WR will feel like a toy!!! :ride:Maniac

I race this bike now in hare scrambles. The bikes weight hasnt been my issue anyway. Im still working on some endurance issues. I did replace the rear fender to cut cost on broken tail light. I replaced the front light with a yz plate. I just made some brackets for the number plate to mount to the light brackets out of some 0 alum. I found that a light assy cost 120 bucks to replace and a number plate is only 22. Up date us on weight loss and gains. I would love to know piece by piece.

Thanks

Anyone stripped their WR down of all the non-essential wiring, lights, battery, kick stand, computer and pick up line to front hub,etc? I bet all that weighs quite a bit.

Besides exhaust system, Anything else to make it the lightest it can be for harescrambles?

Any tips?

Would it not be less hassle to buy a YZ.

Would it not be less hassle to buy a YZ.

It would be less hassle if you bought me a YZ and race prepped it for me before each race.

I like my WR. Figured it wouldn't hurt if I could drop 10-15 lbs off the bike just for harescramble race days. I like the lights, kick stand, e start, and the other stuff for just trail riding and exploring. The whole point of me owning a WR is b/c of it's versatility, not b/c it gives me the best chance at winning. I'm not going to go pyscho with the weight loss. I'm not buying all kind of carbon fiber to lose 1 lb. Just thought I could remove some of the stuff I wouldn't need for 1.5 hour haresrambles. I Dual Sport on it, trail ride on it, race enduros, and I just like to go race a few harescrambles once in a while.

It would be less hassle if you bought me a YZ and race prepped it for me before each race.

I like my WR. Figured it wouldn't hurt if I could drop 10-15 lbs off the bike just for harescramble race days. I like the lights, kick stand, e start, and the other stuff for just trail riding and exploring. The whole point of me owning a WR is b/c of it's versatility, not b/c it gives me the best chance at winning. I'm not going to go pyscho with the weight loss. I'm not buying all kind of carbon fiber to lose 1 lb. Just thought I could remove some of the stuff I wouldn't need for 1.5 hour haresrambles. I Dual Sport on it, trail ride on it, race enduros, and I just like to go race a few harescrambles once in a while.

I suppose in an ideal world...both would be nice ?

I know it will always be heavy. Just wondering if I was missing anything that I planned to take off.

hey bandit.. when the starter went out on my 06, i rode it a few rides without one, then started pullling stuff off like you are talking about.. the digital display on the 06 went nuts with out a battery, but i see you are talking about taking it off also... I took the battery out and rode and it was way harder to kick start than kick starting it with the battery in... dont know why... I really could not tell that much difference in riding it with or without the battery , starter....

hey bandit.. when the starter went out on my 06, i rode it a few rides without one, then started pullling stuff off like you are talking about.. the digital display on the 06 went nuts with out a battery, but i see you are talking about taking it off also... I took the battery out and rode and it was way harder to kick start than kick starting it with the battery in... dont know why... I really could not tell that much difference in riding it with or without the battery , starter....

Interesting....The only reason I consider doing this is b/c the bike was always so easy to kickstart.

I started tearing down my bike tonight. I'm sending off the suspension off, grease the linkage, swingarm pivot and steering stem. Replace wheel bearings. I have a herniated L-5 disk that will probably keep me from riding for the next few months, so I will be doing the maint.

Interesting....The only reason I consider doing this is b/c the bike was always so easy to kickstart.

I started tearing down my bike tonight. I'm sending off the suspension off, grease the linkage, swingarm pivot and steering stem. Replace wheel bearings. I have a herniated L-5 disk that will probably keep me from riding for the next few months, so I will be doing the maint.

mine was too, with the battery...that was why i was thinking that way also.. there probably is an answer to that , but i did not find it..

who is doing the susp ?

i am a c1-c2 fracture survivor..... hope it goes good..

Edited by jhendr3702

Factory Connection on the suspension.

I have survived C3-C4-C5 herniated too. LOL it took 3 years. My L-5 is pretty bad. I'm just getting to where I can bend. My buddy has to take the forks and shock off my bike for me.

cool... i had dave j do mine (smartperformance) on my 06.. it was very good.. the only thing i did when i got it back was back off the compression setting in half....(he had it at 12 clicks, i went to 6 i think) it rode a little higher in the stroke, which was a challenge for me at 5'6" but it rode great...

when i did my neck thing, we sold everything to pay med bills.. that was in 95 and the surgery was 42,000... kinda spooky, most guys dont live a normal life after a broken neck.... finally got to start riding again about 6 years ago... my wife knows i love it...since then i have broken a collar bone and an ankle.... one of friends asked the wife if i would keep riding after the last broken ankle... she replied..."if a broken neck did not stop him, i dont think an ankle will"..... i have an L5-S1 giving me fits right now... not sure what i am gonna do on that....

cool... i had dave j do mine (smartperformance) on my 06.. it was very good.. the only thing i did when i got it back was back off the compression setting in half....(he had it at 12 clicks, i went to 6 i think) it rode a little higher in the stroke, which was a challenge for me at 5'6" but it rode great...

when i did my neck thing, we sold everything to pay med bills.. that was in 95 and the surgery was 42,000... kinda spooky, most guys dont live a normal life after a broken neck.... finally got to start riding again about 6 years ago... my wife knows i love it...since then i have broken a collar bone and an ankle.... one of friends asked the wife if i would keep riding after the last broken ankle... she replied..."if a broken neck did not stop him, i dont think an ankle will"..... i have an L5-S1 giving me fits right now... not sure what i am gonna do on that....

Jeez....I think i'd have taken up golf.......FOUR! ?

HA!!! I did take up Golf after I destroyed my foot in 2007. I started playing on an Amateur Tour. It was fun, but didn't give me what riding gives me. After 2 years of no riding, I just couldn't stand not riding any more, and I go ride about once a month, do an Enduro every so often. I blew out the L5 on New Years Day when I went OTB and landed on my butt. Been crippled since. Getting better though.