Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest

Boots

8 posts in this topic

Plan to buy new boots and have the choice narrowed down to Alpinestar Tech 8's or Vectors.

Tweeked my inner/outer foot/ankle last weekend and obviously I'm looking for the best protection for these areas now.

Thoughts/Comments???

Also, does anyone have any scoop on any new model boots in the works by Alpinestar that will be coming out near-term?

Hey Paul in AZ,

I guess the tech8s are the 'cush' boots but I did hear some guys say that the removable insert can be strange to get used to. I opted for the tech6s and they are comfy.

As for your ankle,,,I am going to start wearing a brace on the left and was told that the tech6s are more accommodating of inside gear.

About those other boots you mentioned...I thought Alpinestars were the ONLY boot...(just kidding)

good luck and happy trails. ......

Paul,

Tech-8 boots are GREAT!!!!! I bought mine from Piper Performance. Yhey have great prices. They are near the Deer Valley airport.

Good luck

Court

------------------

Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

My two sense: I had tech 8's and destroyed the sole insert on my shifting foot within two months of riding. After replacing the insert, the new replacement (they cost 18 bucks) came unglued after four rides. But, the real problem is this: The sole replacements get inserted in a tongue and groove method. I destroyed the tongue, so the new insoles wouldn't have held anyway. Personally, I think it's a poor design, but that's just me. I know friends still using 8's with no problems whatsoever. Some people tend to be very light on sole abuse. I sold the boots after Alpinestar re-soled them for no charge. Maybe they have improved this, but I am hard on the soles of my boots and went with FOX Forma's. They seem to be holding up great. The 8's were more comfy. I'd have to say for ankle support, the FOX's work better for me. Just my two sense.

daveyg

Hey Paul,

I had a similar post on the Wr side this week. You may want to check it out. I went with the Tech 8's. They said the 8's would be very stiff, would take some time to break in, offered the most ankle support, replacable sole insert and longest lasting boot.

I used to have the Gaerne RX Pro's. They're a very nice boot, easy to break in, but not much ankle support.

Bill

------------------

97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards , Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

I went with the Vectors. The sole of the shoe kind of came apart after the second ride, but it was an easy fix.

However, for comfort and feel of the machine, I think they are the best boot you can get. I love 'em!!!

As for safety, I think just about any boot is going to be the same. Just make sure they fit snug without being to tight.

My two sense: I had tech 8's and destroyed the sole insert on my shifting foot within two months of riding. After replacing the insert, the new replacement (they cost 18 bucks) came unglued after four rides. But, the real problem is this: The sole replacements get inserted in a tongue and groove method. I destroyed the tongue, so the new insoles wouldn't have held anyway. Personally, I think it's a poor design, but that's just me. I know friends still using 8's with no problems whatsoever. Some people tend to be very light on sole abuse. I sold the boots after Alpinestar re-soled them for no charge. Maybe they have improved this, but I am hard on the soles of my boots and went with FOX Forma's. They seem to be holding up great. The 8's were more comfy. I'd have to say for ankle support, the FOX's work better for me. Just my two sense.

daveyg