Embarrassing lack of maintenance

This is a little embarrassing, but had to share it with you guys, even though it displays a gross lack of maintenance on my part!

The teeth on my countershaft sprocket have had the tell-tale bend in them for a while, and I'd even bought a new sprocket months ago to replace it.

However, after repeated attempts with my low-pressure compressor and a rattle gun, I haven't been able to get the old one off. So I put it off and put it off....and it didn't seem to be getting too much worse....

And then I went for a ride yesterday and she finally let go, seen here next to the brand new one.

The chain didn't actually slip until about half revs, unless you were either at full compression or extension with the suspension, which is when the chain's loosest. Needless to say this made life in the whoops a bit interesting given the massive movement in the swingarm!!!

disgrace.jpg

Used a heat gun, dowsed it in CRC, left it for a bit, then came back, heated it up again and used the rattle gun again. Came off heaps easier. Picked up those tips from a mate of mine.

Have heard it's not good to use a rattle gun, but I was getting nowhere with a breaker bar. Not sure why it was on so tight. I've had it since new, and followed the specs re tension when I put it on.

She's now got brand new sprockets front and rear and new chain.

As above, all sprockets and chain new now.

The old sprocket/chain didn't do a bad job. Got 5000ks out of them, though obviously should have replaced a lot sooner.

Mainly sand where I ride. I only use CRC, no chain lube - hope I don't start another string of comments on the best way to lube your chain!!!

"Good Lord... hope you dont run your tires like that...lol... or your air filter...

they say necessity is the mother of creation, no wonder you finally got the sprocket removed..."

That's the most embarrassing thing - I pride myself on being meticulous with everything else. Oil and filter every five hours, air filter every ride etc.

Damn countershaft sprocket seems to be my weakness.

This is a little embarrassing, but had to share it with you guys, even though it displays a gross lack of maintenance on my part!

The teeth on my countershaft sprocket have had the tell-tale bend in them for a while, and I'd even bought a new sprocket months ago to replace it.

However, after repeated attempts with my low-pressure compressor and a rattle gun, I haven't been able to get the old one off. So I put it off and put it off....and it didn't seem to be getting too much worse....

And then I went for a ride yesterday and she finally let go, seen here next to the brand new one.

The chain didn't actually slip until about half revs, unless you were either at full compression or extension with the suspension, which is when the chain's loosest. Needless to say this made life in the whoops a bit interesting given the massive movement in the swingarm!!!

disgrace.jpg

the one on the left looks like a Holiday Cookie:smirk:, the one on the right looks like a sprocket:ride: