Starting problem WR450 07 with Video

Sounds like a weak battery to me. The amps are too low to keep the relay/solenoid enguaged. I would have it tested.

Sounds like a weak battery to me. The amps are too low to keep the relay/solenoid enguaged. I would have it tested.

Its a brand new battery.

Im going to check the auto decompression next.....then if no joy then I will take the starter motor off again to get checked even though all seemed ok inside..... & then ???

Before you have the starter motor tested check all the connections. Make sure you have a good solid ground etc.

My guess would also be the auto-deco system. Happened to me during a rallye and the only way to get the thing started again was to electric start and kick at the same time :smirk:

After opening the top end to check it, it turned out the auto-decom mechanism was somehow stuck on the camshaft. After moving it by hand a bit it was loose enough again to work. Maybe a speck of dirt got stuck and jammed it?

you can bypass the relay to test the starter, but my 2003 did the same thing, replaceing the starter relay fixed mine. But it was after I already changed the battery and cleaned the starter. I think what happened to mine was the starter relay just could not hadle the load of the stater. Make you your battery is fully charged too.

Since you have already eliminated the battery and the starter relay as the problem your next step is to check all the cables. Pay close attention to the ground (Black) cable at the end connected to the motor.

If there are any corroded or loose connections between the battery / relay / starter you will get the exact symptom you are experiencing.

Once you have eliminated the cables as an issue it will be time to remove the starter motor and check the motor brushes and any other issues with the starter motor.

...Im good with general maintenance etc , but this is taking the engine apart :rant: Is this a job for a Pro to check ?

This is normal as far as I know. The starter just doesn't have the torque to push through the compression if you start cranking after where whe auto-decomp would kick in. Mine does the same thing. But it rarely stops under compression unless I stall it. :smirk:

you have either a lose wire or the batteries draining. i have a dual sport kit on my 07 wr and a wire came loose. it sucked the battery down to nothing so it wouldn't even kick start. i had to let it sit for a few minutes then i would drive it again until it died until i finally got back to the truck. The first thing i would do is check all connectionss. It's a pain but it's worth it then. charge the battery and see what happens.

The second video with the new battery is ok. See the thread "2008 WR450 Frozen"

That does sound like whats happening.

Since taking the head off (Enough to get to the auto decompression anyway !) I havent had a single time that I couldn't start it . I only flicked the auto decompression cam back & forth a few times & put everything back together & all seems great :thumbsup:

It did used to seem to get stuck on TDC before , but now it loads better, so whether the auto decompression was sticking or not ??? its works now .

im no expert but it sounds to me like the teeth on the starter motor's gear is stripped and it is just slipping on the counter gear connected to the motor.

Since taking the head off (Enough to get to the auto decompression anyway !) I havent had a single time that I couldn't start it . I only flicked the auto decompression cam back & forth a few times & put everything back together & all seems great :thumbsup:

It did used to seem to get stuck on TDC before , but now it loads better, so whether the auto decompression was sticking or not ??? its works now .

Cool! :smirk:

Glad to gear you got it solved! :smirk: