hillclimbing

any tips on climbing really long steap narly hills and the hills that are at a 90 degree angle at the top :)

Lower the suspension!

Most of the mistakes I have seen in hillclimbing have to do with not sitting far enoungh forward on the bike or even having to lean over the handlebars to get your weight forward depending on steepness of hill, riders will usually woop out if not forward enough. the other tip would be to keep the momentum going.

lean forward but still keep the weigh on the pegs for traction... always !! always keep the rpms in the upper range and scream the bike before you upshit if needed... and when approaching the hill run in as high of agear as you can... i usually like 3rd pinned then i shift with no clutch but right before i shift i roll off the gas... and if your riding with a buddy that you need to roost... take him up the hill and right before you get to the top roll off and crack the throttle open.. it will kick up rocks the size of softballs.. lots of fun :)

Keep her pinned and don't let up til you cleared the top! Actually, if it's loose stuff, momentum is key, engine RPM's kept in the "sweet spot" and wheelspin at a minimum. Stand on the pegs for good weight distribution and feather the clutch when necessary. As for the 90 deg. tops...I usually loop it out since they tend to sneak up on me. My brother, who is a far better rider than me, just uses momentum and body english to clear the steep tops...really impressive to watch and entertaining when he doesn't make it occasionally(makes me feel a little better :)).

Traction is the thing. Spin as little as possible to keep control. Choose your line. Stay on the peg with your balls on the gaz tank :D. Use body english to clear the top and practice practice practice... :)

I've been having trouble with hills that are off camber or they have a S turn in the steep part. Most of the time it seems that I loose control of the rear and it slides around. What is the proper way to have your weight distributed when going into these turns on a steep hill?

Never fails I get a good start up the hill but as soon as I get to a small turn or slant the rear end comes around an then I've lost my momentem and traction. :)

--Rick :D

any tips on climbing really long steap narly hills and the hills that are at a 90 degree angle at the top :D

take him up the hill and right before you get to the top roll off and crack the throttle open.. it will kick up rocks the size of softballs.. lots of fun

What a buddy you must be! :):D :D

feather the clutch when necessary.:)).

not much feathering with an auto clutch but don't kill it or you go back down really fast

ahh yes 426....neglected to notice that part of your sig. Not sure I could ride with an auto clutch, to me the clutch is a necessary tool when riding aggressive. It's commonly known as rear wheel steering and it is a great tool when perfected....otherwise I'm in the weeds!

:lol:I can still wip my back wheel around just as good with an auto clutch

Momentum, weight bias, throttle control, and clutch control are the keys. On really rocky steep uphills, suspension is also very important. A little less compression, and a little more rebound damping than normal really help keep it straight.

The slower and rougher it is, the more critical good technique is.

There is no substitute for practice.

Dan

I had three monster hill climbs in a race last weekend. Since I didn't have time to think about it I just picked a line, leaned foward, and hit the gas. If I started to loose too much traction I would slide back on the seat but if the front end start getting light you loose all ability to control your direction. The more hills I climb the easier it is getting. But what goes up must come down...... did my first stoppy coming down the backside of the second hill, well three of them to be exact. All three renewed my membership in the over-the-bars club :)

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=02S5002E010012&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

The hill in the background of the pic is the one I am refering to.

I agree with Dan HB, the suspension is critical when you want the most from your bike. It also makes it much easier and safer to descend hills you have to come down.

Everyone else has great tips for momentum, ride the pegs, and using your weight to keep the wheel digging.