Flywheel Puller for 99 YZ400f

can someone recommend a good cheap gear puller for a 99 yz400f? trying to replace the cam chain after a valve job and just realized I don't have the right tools. How do you know the puller your buying is the right size and pitch on the threads?

Thanks

Where in California are you ?

The TT Store has a MotionPro Puller for the YZ400F (p/n 15-0463) for $21.95.

They also have the "Bikemaster" brand pullers for $13.95. P/N 15-0601 on page 954.

Jimmie

San Diego

Bought mine at Harbor Freight for about 12 or 13 bucks. Nice little cheap puller set

I use a steering wheel puller, you can even rent one from Kragen/Autozone, etc.

That is the wrong way to do the job.

Grayracer, if you are referring to my steering wheel puller maybe you can explain why you THINK this is the wrong way to do the job. I have used this many times and have not experienced any damage to the flywheel, I got the idea after borrowing my motorcycle mechanic buddies puller and noted the similarities or should I say they are identical tools.

Grayracer, if you are referring to my steering wheel puller maybe you can explain why you THINK this is the wrong way to do the job. I have used this many times and have not experienced any damage to the flywheel, I got the idea after borrowing my motorcycle mechanic buddies puller and noted the similarities or should I say they are identical tools.
The correct puller for the YZ400 flywheel has an external, left hand, M27X1.0 thread on it, and screws into the threaded recess in the center of the flywheel. That is the area intended by the manufacturer to bear the load of pulling the flywheel that will require the least pressure, distribute the load the best, and cause the least distortion to the assembly, along with the least risk of damage to the flywheel or the crank.

Your buddies aren't the only ones who have ever been a professional mechanic, and not everyone who wears that title is necessarily worthy of it.

A steering wheel puller is the wrong tool for the job, and the right one in this case is the single most popular flywheel puller used on Japanese motorcycles from the early 70's to date. They cost about $15, are available everywhere, and I'm stunned that your pals don't own one.

Grayracer I must apologize as you were right as is usually the case. I asked my buddy and he said there is no way he gave me a steering wheel type puller and showed me that he had the correct puller for the job. I must be slippin', I apologize to the board as well for posting incorrect information.

Apology accepted, and credit yourself for stepping up. :cheers::thumbsup:

If you look at the way the correct puller works, you can easily see why it's the best approach. Some of the older YZF flywheels did have holes drilled in the steel center flange, and a bolt-and-plate type puller could be used. It might even work, and it's not a totally unsound method. It's just not the right way.

Note that when pulling parts off of tapered shafts, they can be set on the shaft very firmly. If you get the puller cranked way down to a torque level that you think is getting excessively high, take a steel hammer and strike the head of the pressure screw sharply, straight inward toward the crank. The combination of the shock and the pressure should snap it loose.

Yes both my 2000 426 & my '98 400 as well as the WR flywheel I installed have the tapped holes and this is why the puller worked for me.