HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teampiney

1984 Can Am 500

20 posts in this topic

:smirk: Oh what I would give to have one of those in decent shape! Rare bird for sure! B)

On that note what ever happened to Can-am back then and what was the reason they quit making bikes?

Can-Am is made by Bombardier. They started making more money in their other endeavors and had to develop the technology less. At the time motocross was really changing.

That's funny right there! Seriously, parts for the less common sizes of rotax 2 strokes are very hard to come by. The 300 and 500 have to have custom pistons, unless you find an OEM.

I picked it and a 94 CR250 off craigs list for $350. Buddy was gonna redo this and I redid the CR. Found parts to be tough to find, but didnt want to trash it. I tossed it on ebay with a $50 start. Glad to seesomebody wants it and I have about 14 watchers. Curious with how it turns out. When I was a kid. A neighbor had a 76 or 77 500. Thing would climb anything.

There's no such thing as a 2-stroke Can-Am 500. 400 (399cc or maybe called 406) yes, 500 no. I had an '84 250 ASE myself. They did have a 4-stroke with a Rotax motor that might have been a 500. Now, that would be cool.

Wow..Very nice RJ

I wish that bike was mine...:thumbsup: . I just searched it in Google images to show a good example of the model. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could find one.

1 person likes this

Amazing the interest in this old girl. I had a lot of people wait till the last 2 hours to ask questions. Lets see what she fetches.:thumbsup:

i have a 84 mx 500 for sale here in nevada for 1500, runs and looks great still has the original tires on it. i would post a picture but im not sure how, its my first day on the site

There's no such thing as a 2-stroke Can-Am 500. 400 (399cc or maybe called 406) yes, 500 no. I had an '84 250 ASE myself. They did have a 4-stroke with a Rotax motor that might have been a 500. Now, that would be cool.

can-am does make a 2 stoke 500, i own it lol. in 83-85 they have the rotax motor 52 hp at the wheel