1984 Can Am 500

:smirk: Oh what I would give to have one of those in decent shape! Rare bird for sure! B)

On that note what ever happened to Can-am back then and what was the reason they quit making bikes?

Can-Am is made by Bombardier. They started making more money in their other endeavors and had to develop the technology less. At the time motocross was really changing.

Bump//

Could always use it to mix paint.

That's funny right there! Seriously, parts for the less common sizes of rotax 2 strokes are very hard to come by. The 300 and 500 have to have custom pistons, unless you find an OEM.

I picked it and a 94 CR250 off craigs list for $350. Buddy was gonna redo this and I redid the CR. Found parts to be tough to find, but didnt want to trash it. I tossed it on ebay with a $50 start. Glad to seesomebody wants it and I have about 14 watchers. Curious with how it turns out. When I was a kid. A neighbor had a 76 or 77 500. Thing would climb anything.

There's no such thing as a 2-stroke Can-Am 500. 400 (399cc or maybe called 406) yes, 500 no. I had an '84 250 ASE myself. They did have a 4-stroke with a Rotax motor that might have been a 500. Now, that would be cool.

There's no such thing as a 2-stroke Can-Am 500. 400 (399cc or maybe called 406) yes, 500 no.

I don't know if these made it to production, but there is a pretty sexy 85 MX500: http://www.classiccanam.com/canam17.htm not a 406 Jug that's for sure...

I don't know if these made it to production, but there is a pretty sexy 85 MX500: http://www.classiccanam.com/canam17.htm not a 406 Jug that's for sure...

Yes those made production. I think Armstrong was building Can Ams by that time.

can-am_500mx_1983.jpg

^ How awesome is that?! :lol:

I passed up a clean Can-Am Sonic once upon a time for $300 :thumbsup:

Yes indeed they made the 2 smoke 500, not for very long but they did make it.

can-am_500mx_1983.jpg

Wow..Very nice RJ

Wow..Very nice RJ

I wish that bike was mine...:thumbsup: . I just searched it in Google images to show a good example of the model. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could find one.

Amazing the interest in this old girl. I had a lot of people wait till the last 2 hours to ask questions. Lets see what she fetches.:thumbsup:

This one here is the closest example I have seen of it RJ

canam.jpg

After all that. 306.

i have a 84 mx 500 for sale here in nevada for 1500, runs and looks great still has the original tires on it. i would post a picture but im not sure how, its my first day on the site

There's no such thing as a 2-stroke Can-Am 500. 400 (399cc or maybe called 406) yes, 500 no. I had an '84 250 ASE myself. They did have a 4-stroke with a Rotax motor that might have been a 500. Now, that would be cool.

can-am does make a 2 stoke 500, i own it lol. in 83-85 they have the rotax motor 52 hp at the wheel