bottom bolt removal kyb shock

Anybody have an idea how to get the bottom bolt out of the fork? I cannot seem to get any leverage on it. I looked around for a table vise with soft jaws, but no luck.

Any ideas on a slight modification to a regular table vise so I don't score the aluminum?

Yes you can get new plastic ones or if I recall correctly there is an aluminum one offered by a suspension company. Cant remember which company. Also some suspension companies suggest drilling a relief hole. This is a common occurrence on the KYB SSS forks do some searching and you might be able to dig up a thread where I saw the relief hole suggestion.

Contact Dave Johnson at SMART Performance. His web address is in my sig.

He has both the OEM plastic and the upgraded aluminum free pistons that you need. Here's more about the problem:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650136

...and the fix (if you use the aluminum pistons, they come drilled already):

http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/YZMODASSEM.htm

• Like 1

I am not sure what a revalve would do for me. I weigh 160, and I believe the springs are stock. They measure almost 18 inches.

Are there benefits to revalving at my weight? I ride mostly MX.

Is this a manufacturing flaw or something I caused to happen?

Edited by silentZ

I am not sure what a revalve would do for me. I weigh 160, and I believe the springs are stock. They measure almost 18 inches.

Are there benefits to revalving at my weight? I ride mostly MX.

Is this a manufacturing flaw or something I caused to happen?

The broken piston you found is what I'd call a design flaw. It's a common occurrence.

What level of riding skill do you ride at? What are your sag numbers? These things can have an influence whether you need new springs (along with your weight, type of riding, and a few other factors) or not. The stock springs on your forks & shock may be slightly stiff for your weight, but I'd bet not too much. They should be good for you riding mx.

If you're happy with how your suspension performs now, I feel there's really no need to revalve. Just fix the broken parts (piston & seals), throw some new fluid in there, and call that good. The stock KYB stuff is very, very good suspension, and typically doesn't need a revalve for most folks.

If the bike is harsh in certain situations, or your arms/wrists and/or back are taking a beating, then it may be a candidate for a revalve. Try all your sag/clicker adjustments/oil height first. If you can't find something you're happy with after trying the clickers & such, talk to a suspension guy like Dave J. But again, our stock suspenders are really good, and normally just need fiddling with the adjustments I mentioned above.......

Jimmie