cleaning weathered plastic

Hey,guys can anyone give me any tips on cleaning weathered plastic, is it worth it. I would like to keep the sc 500 as original as possible.Im not sure if they paint it and where can i get the paint code to match color.

I just did the following on a 1989 yamaha quad plastic. The quad looked like it spent considerable time in the sun over the years. The plastic looked sun-rotted, was faded and the surface was kind of a chalky feel.

Started with a fine grade steel wool (00 or 000), got rid of the chalkyness and made it pretty smooth. Then I used a coarse rubbing compound followed by regular wax. Came out pretty nice, restored a lot of the luster.

? - same thing I do!

I just did the following on a 1989 yamaha quad plastic. The quad looked like it spent considerable time in the sun over the years. The plastic looked sun-rotted, was faded and the surface was kind of a chalky feel.

Started with a fine grade steel wool (00 or 000), got rid of the chalkyness and made it pretty smooth. Then I used a coarse rubbing compound followed by regular wax. Came out pretty nice, restored a lot of the luster.

Agreed, in fact if you want to get really into it:

• Remove any stress cracks (those white lines) with a little bit of heating - like the low heat part of a propane torch
  • Start doing cycles of higher and higher grit paper until your at 2000 grit.
  • Then do 2000 grit with a little bit of water
  • If you are going to paint then get your favorite plastic filler product, apply and start again with the sand paper. Repeat as needed
  • Once your 100% happy you can paint/clear coat it

Regardless of what people say, you can make old plastic look new again. Its just a lot of elbow grease.