HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luksdad

WR 450 Radiator overfill tank fill up

6 posts in this topic

:)

Starter my Thumper (with 6 miles on it). After about 5 mins, I turned it off and the was a whining sound which was from the resevior under the left fender. It also spit a small amount of fluid from the PINK drain hoses. The fluid was up to an inch from the top of the resevior. I do realize that it will rise to the "hot line " when hot, but seemed a little excessive.

Do you leave your bike idling for a period of time? It will overheat causing the coolant to boil and leak out the overflow tube. This happened to me right after I got mine. I once heard my coolant starting to boil once and I jumped on the bike for a quick run and that stopped it. I really haven't let my bike just sit at idle since I've properly jetted the carb, I feel sure the stock lean condition contributed to the overheating. :)

i dont let my bike warm up... i take it off the truck start it up for 30 seconds get suited up and ride :):D

i dont let my bike warm up... i take it off the truck start it up for 30 seconds get suited up and ride :):D

I start mine up and find the radiators pretty warm to the touch in about a minute, so I assume its warm already. It does warm up faster than any water cooled bike I've had before. Never had overheating or overflow from the recovery bottle at all. :D

Starter my Thumper (with 6 miles on it). After about 5 mins, I turned it off and the was a whining sound which was from the resevior under the left fender. It also spit a small amount of fluid from the PINK drain hoses. The fluid was up to an inch from the top of the resevior. I do realize that it will rise to the "hot line " when hot, but seemed a little excessive.

It was too full from the start. It should be about 1/3 stone cold. I keep mine at 1/4 cold.

If you are not idling the bike for more them a minute when hot you should be OK. Flush out you system and put in 50%/50% mix and refill. I have never hand my boil yet. I am riding in hot weather at high altitude this week and the bike has not come close to overheating. The WR450 has one of the biggest radiators.