HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drick

SPI question

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

I seem to have blown out the fork seals on the '09 WR450, and was wondering if anyone knows if Dave uses something fancy that i should stick with for fork seals? FYI, I have the Phase 4 kit.

I have an email into him already, but it looks like he is really backlogged right now.

p.s. if not, does anyone have a suggestion on a brand as a replacement?

TIA

D

oh yeah, one more thing. anyone know what the fork wrench size is for my bike?

On my last seal replacement I went with these

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=897576&highlight=skf

Haven't ridden them yet so can't comment on longetivity, but I can tell you there is next to no stiction. I go through usually 3 sets of seals a season, so I figured these were worth the gamble at double the cost of normal seals.

oh yeah, one more thing. anyone know what the fork wrench size is for my bike?

You just need a 19mm deep socket for the fork cap. 17 or 19mm (can't remember which) open end wrench for the fork spring

You just need a 19mm deep socket for the fork cap. 17 or 19mm (can't remember which) open end wrench for the fork spring

cool, thanks tribal. my buddy was thinking we needed special wrenches for some reason.

its 19 and 19...just did it last night

1 person likes this

Sure that they're blown? mine were bleeding badly but got fixed with 2 or 3 sweeps of old camera film between seals and stanchions.

Sure that they're blown? mine were bleeding badly but got fixed with 2 or 3 sweeps of old camera film between seals and stanchions.

actually no, we did that with feeler gauges and pulled a lot of shit out.

based on the fact that i love my suspension and it's been a year on the new seals my buddy/mechanic suggested it's better to be safe than sorry.

On my last seal replacement I went with these

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=897576&highlight=skf

Haven't ridden them yet so can't comment on longetivity, but I can tell you there is next to no stiction. I go through usually 3 sets of seals a season, so I figured these were worth the gamble at double the cost of normal seals.

those look pretty fancy, i was just looking for something good that i can buy from Rocky Mountain.

Have you ever used Race Tech 's?

those look pretty fancy, i was just looking for something good that i can buy from Rocky Mountain.

Have you ever used Race Tech 's?

Haven't used Race Tech's but I would think they're pushing close to the cost of SKF 's.

Any seals will do except All Balls or MSR (the red ones)

I've had 2 sets of these basically leak after install, not tight enough tolerances, junk. Never had any issues with any other seals...

Check out the videos in this post about the SKF's

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9873609&postcount=46

You'll get what I mean about no stiction :smirk:

Haven't used Race Tech 's but I would think they're pushing close to the cost of SKF 's.

Any seals will do except All Balls or MSR (the red ones)

I've had 2 sets of these basically leak after install, not tight enough tolerances, junk. Never had any issues with any other seals...

Check out the videos in this post about the SKF's

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9873609&postcount=46

You'll get what I mean about no stiction :smirk:

looks like the race techs are actually more than the skf's. that video is crazy, i might need to check them out after all.

is mx-tech the only place to buy them?

My 09 YZ250 forks started leaking shortly after purchasing it, I did my own forks with Dave's internals and asked him specifically about the seals. He indicates the stock KYB is the best and that is what he supplies. No problems after reworking them, so I'm not sure if it was a nicked one in the originals or what. I do wipe the tubes down with WD40 after washing to get any water spots off and pull them down after about 3 rides and clean them up using the WD40 and air, no problems since.

1 person likes this

My 09 YZ250 forks started leaking shortly after purchasing it, I did my own forks with Dave's internals and asked him specifically about the seals. He indicates the stock KYB is the best and that is what he supplies. No problems after reworking them, so I'm not sure if it was a nicked one in the originals or what. I do wipe the tubes down with WD40 after washing to get any water spots off and pull them down after about 3 rides and clean them up using the WD40 and air, no problems since.

he did my entire set up, and i couldn't remember what he said about the seals, but that seems to ring a bell.

you encouraged me to call him and talk about this. I just got off the phone with him and you are correct, he said KYB is the way to go, and they are cost effective.