HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waflnutz

What is the quitest exhaust system avail. for the '01 YZ426?

9 posts in this topic

keep in mind that this is all second hand info based on other's reports and what I've read. There really isn't anything available that rivals the stock pipe as far as sound level goes. I believe the quietest aftermarket pipe (according to all the testing I've read) is the stroker offering. It's still about 2db louder than stock although it has extra end pieces available that claim to quiet it down even further. This of course comes at the expense of at least a little power I would guess. The stroker exhaust reportedly makes the bike very strong and tractable down low and does come with a S/A. I've also heard of people using a WR tail section too. I imagine that would be fairly quiet also. Doug Dubach is also making a pipe for the 426 (available in the next few weeks) that he claims is not too loud and includes a S/A also. Who knows what "not too loud" is though? Again, all of this is NOT based on my experience with these pipes. Just what I've heard or read.

Hope this helps. It may narrow your search if nothing else.

------------------

like a kid again!

00 YZ426F

01 TT-R125L (my son's)

91 CR125

83 YZ490

74 Hodaka Super Combat

I've heard the the Biggun Quiet Series give good performance and is pretty quiet. It has a spark arrestor too.

If you want to go super quiet, put a WR400/426 muffler on it. Bolts right in. I don't think anyone has ever stated that there's an aftermarket pipe as quiet as it. You will lose some top end hp, though (but are you really that much of a hero that you use all the hp? Most guys aren't, me included)

I checked at Ronnies on the price of the WR muffler. $432.00! :) You can probably find a used one out there somewhere. I think I will test my WB E-series with the quite core and 4 disks first. I will let you know how it goes.

------------------

SHN

99'YZ-400 (Mine)

00' TT-R 125 (Hers)

91' KX-125 (Son #1)

93' CR-80 (Son #2)

99' PW-80 (Son #3)

OK. Time to get serious. It seems that talk of quiet exhaust note is always sprinkled with antidotal evidence (i.e. "well it sounds quieter"). I have gone and purchased a sound meter and will be performing some tests on the stock YZ exhaust, WB E-series and a FMF IV so that we may have empirical data. I will create a separate post when I am finished.

------------------

SHN

99'YZ-400 (Mine)

00' TT-R 125 (Hers)

91' KX-125 (Son #1)

93' CR-80 (Son #2)

99' PW-80 (Son #3)

Enmerdeur, Did you say you purchased a sound meter? Where did you buy it and how much did you spend? I too am interested in sound levels of our bikes... Thanks, Dan

You can buy them at Radio Shack. They have the analog ones on sale for $29.95. The digital model is $59.95. I bought the analog. Go here for more info.

http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F003%5F018%5F000&Page=1

------------------

SHN

99'YZ-400 (Mine)

00' TT-R 125 (Hers)

91' KX-125 (Son #1)

93' CR-80 (Just sold it. Looking for another TTR125 for Son #2)

99' PW-80 (Son #3)

Hi Enmerdeur, good step in getting a meter. You should try to get the MMIC sound test booklet for a good description of sound testing procedures. The accepted test is SAE something or other (can't recall), but it's essentials are meter 20" away, level to ground, 45 degrees rightward/rearward (assuming muffler on throttle side) pointed at exhaust outlet, rev bike to specified rpm. I haven't seen the YZ426 number, but I expect it to be around 5000 rpm. The cheap rpm meter (yes, you need one) is a Briggs and Stratton oscillatng wire (it resonates at specified rpm according to how far the spring wire sticks out) which you hold on the bike gas tank or chassis as you hold the engine revs steady and read the sound level. You have to use the "A" scale (hence dBA) and use the "slow" response setting.

As an experiment you should see about 94 dBA at idle, about 102-104 at spec rev and I think >120 when you buzz the motor at high revs, opening the throttle wide (stock pipe). It's quite eye opening. I think the WR pipe was 94 or 96 dBA at spec rev. HUGE difference, as you'll see.

If you're a keener, graph the dBA vs rpm and post it. You could start a technical revolution/precedent in getting the honest goods about pipe sound levels! (of course stating it was SAE J?? stationary sound test used to get the data)