HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmxdad2001

LEXX end cap 08 YZ450 review

29 posts in this topic

Hi guys, just thought I'd give a quick review of this product. I know quite a few guys on here have the PMB end cap installed, however I went with the lexx end cap due to the carbon fiber look. First this cap is beautifully made, excellent quality for the price ($85) on ebay. Installation was a piece of cake, once you get the stock end cap removed. I decided to only remove the stock end cap with the attached cone and replace with the wide open Lexx cap. I was surprised, the noise level did increase, but not as much as I thought it would. It definitely increased the low end and midrange hit. Overall I couldn't be happier with the results for the money! For sure the best low budget mod you can do to your 08 or 09 YZ450. Here's a couple of pics. :smirk:

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

Did u use a hand riviter or pnuematic?

I drilled out stock rivets with a 3/16 bit and reinstalled new rivets with a hand held rivet gun. It came out real clean. I'm super happy with the perfect fit of the Lexx insert. Then the carbon cap just screws on with 3 allen heads.

thx for the info. that LEXX end cap looks really nice.

i too just recently modded (both cones removed) the stk exhaust on my 09 yz450f and looking to install the end cap

thx for the info. that LEXX end cap looks really nice.

i too just recently modded (both cones removed) the stk exhaust on my 09 yz450f and looking to install the end cap

Did u have to take the whole muffler apart to get at the second cone? How did u take it out?

looks awesome...is your jetting stock?? Please give me some input, because im probably gonna do the same thing. thanks

looks awesome...is your jetting stock?? Please give me some input, because im probably gonna do the same thing. thanks

Yep stock jetting. Just fuel screw adjustments here and there.

Did u have to take the whole muffler apart to get at the second cone? How did u take it out?

yes, both ends need to be removed from the aluminum canister. the cone inside of the perferated tube has 3 small brackets that hold it center of the inside of the tube. the spot welds have to drilled out. i used a die grinder with a deburring tool to eat away the welds.

the new end cap will take care of the other cone. but if your gonna use the stock end cap, the cone and some of the tubing will need to be removed.

installed my LEXX spark arrestor end cap yesterday. looks sweet and sounds even better!

I just picked up a 2008 yz450 and ordered the Lexx XC end cap. I had seen the installation instructions for it prior to ordering and it seems pretty straight forward, is there anything I need to be aware of when doing the installation; and how well has it held up?

Edited by warrick75

I know this thread is a little older but I just got mine in this morning. Did you guys install the Special inner core or is that like a quiet core?

I installed the larger diameter outlet, but I mostly just ride track. There is a smaller outlet you can use also, or the screen cone which is a spark arrestor. I love my lexx end cap, for me its been holding up great, and I prefer the carbon fiber look over the annodized aluminum caps.

Thanks for getting back to me but im talking about this piece the one in the middle. Does that go in as a quiet core or is it a part you need to put in? Im not trying to be loud just looking to open up the flow.

photo.jpg

Interesting.....I have been thinking about trying to open up the stock muffler but was not sure how.

I am trying to go to Loretta Lynns this year and need to meet the sound regulations. By opening this up will it make it to loud to pass the sound test?

Without knowing the sound limit at LL's, my guess is that it will fail if "opened up".

I installed my inner core that you are talking about. I noticed that it gave me a little better bottom and mid after installing the Lexx. Pulling out the old restrictive secondary piece of the muffler made a difference so I can only assume that not installing Lexx core may help even more. If you do it let me know

Someone gave me a brand new 08 YZ450F muffler a couple of years ago that has been collecting dust in my garage. Had a C note burning a hole in my pocket and ordered the Lexx end cap. Removed the back end only on the 08 muffler and inserted the long tube and the larger diameter outlet end-piece along with the spark arrester from the LEXX kit on my 07 WR450. Rode it around the block and woke up the dead - hellaciously loud! Immediately put the smaller diameter end-piece in and had a good, long 90 mile desert ride today. Still louder then the new Q4 muffler on my buddies 06 WR450 who was riding with me. I plan on wearing earplugs if I decide to ride with the muffler again. The gains on the WR (with the stock, very small diameter header) were actually quite decent - just too loud for my tastes. Looks really sweet,though.

Edited by SXP