HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jsmith4816

Bad crank bearings?

4 posts in this topic

I have an '01 y426 and for starters, I love this bike. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Last year I was riding and then all of a sudden it stalled. When I tried to kick it over, the kick start was seized. So I looked at the manual and looked at every possible precaution. Wasn't the kick start gear or a seized piston. When I asked a mechanic, he said if the crankshaft does not move then its the bearings. Would the bearings cause it to stall?

Also, how hard are bearings to replace? The entire bike is apart, but do not have a case splitting tool to finish the job.

I assume the crank still does not turn even with the bike apart, is this correct ?

The crankshaft bearings area easy to replace however your problem may be the conrod bearing, is this moving freely and with no free play ?

If you are going to pull it right down it is probably worth your while to rebuild the crank regardless and get another 10+ years of service out of it.

Sorry it has been so long. Yes it moves freely with no play. I would like to do the bearings myself, but have no way to split the cases. Call me cheap, but I also don't wanna pay to buy the part and use it once.

Sorry it has been so long. Yes it moves freely with no play. I would like to do the bearings myself, but have no way to split the cases. Call me cheap, but I also don't wanna pay to buy the part and use it once.

Trust me, if you are into dirtbikes, you will use it more than once. :smirk: