HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
74dirtdown

04 450 size of hose running from tank to carb?

9 posts in this topic

I just realized that the hose running from the tank down to the carb has a huge crack and with the gas on, the fuel is leaking everywhere. I'd like to run up to the auto store (autozone, advanced auto) and pick up a new hose. I'll have the hose with me, but curious if you know what the size of that hose actually is.

I am assuming a hose is a hose so if that is wrong, let me know what I should be getting.

Thanks

I was trying to use the same clamps on the hose, but couldn't find a hose with the inner diameter and outer diameter to match what was on there. Plus the hose on there has a rubber sleeve that also went over the hose. The original hose in my opinion was actually cheap compared to all the other hoses I had ended up looking at. The auto stores didn't have what I was looking for and went with a fuel hose from Lowe's. I won't be able to use the original hose clamps, but will purchase some clamps I can screw down.

I was trying to use the same clamps on the hose, but couldn't find a hose with the inner diameter and outer diameter to match what was on there. Plus the hose on there has a rubber sleeve that also went over the hose. The original hose in my opinion was actually cheap compared to all the other hoses I had ended up looking at. The auto stores didn't have what I was looking for and went with a fuel hose from Lowe's. I won't be able to use the original hose clamps, but will purchase some clamps I can screw down.

Inner diameter is the only measurement you really care about and honestly if you can get it on the barbs and they stay and dont leak using whatever to clamp it you are fine. As long as it's fuel line however. My buddy found out the hard way.

Fuel injection stuff is different as it's under pressure and you need special clamps and thicker hose.

Thanks,

The hose I got was a fuel line and has the, what looks like twine, rope, etc... running trough the hose. The original one didn't have have anything special in it.

They also slid on very tight and my gut tells me clamps are not even needed based on how the hose sort of has no real room to slide out of its current position.

this. it's an i.d. measurement.

For the most part the ID is all that matters. I run 1/4" fuel injection hose and because it is so thick walled it doesnt even require clamps.