Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sik_m8

2011 yz450f problem

26 posts in this topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys i just brought a brand new 2011 yz450f. i havent had a problem with it until today. i was keen to go for a ride so i made sure i had fuel checked my oil and my radiator fluid and all was good. i started my bike to let it warm up then went and put my helmet on and came back 2 mins later and there was radiator fluid, steam and smoke coming out of the radiator overflow. i turned off my bike straight away let it cool down and checked the radiator and it was dry as a bone. what can cause this 2 happen? this is a brand new bike with only 2 hours and 29 minutes on it

Idling to long would be my answer!

That was my initial thought too! They don't like to stand still....

+1. A new tight engine and idling too long = boil over. Fill 'er back up with coolant and ride it!

Reminds me of the first time I had a car with air conditioning. Came home. Turned car off. Came back hours later to drive it. There's a giant pool of fluid under my engine!!! ***?! Say what? Oh, that's normal?

And it's normal if the Yamaha or most any other liquid cooled bike is left running while not moving to spew its guts.

thats a joke..id be pissed after paying $$$$ for a new bikeand it breaking

Nah, it's not broken. Just overheated.

thats a joke..id be pissed after paying $$$$ for a new bikeand it breaking

It's not broke!:smirk: Leave any modern liquid cooled MX bike running too long while sitting still and it will boil over.

It's not broke!:smirk: Leave any modern liquid cooled MX bike running too long while sitting still and it will boil over.

especially when they are new!

with no fan to pull air through the rads how is the engine supposed to transfer heat? 2 minutes idle will bring the bike to a very high temp. being new will only make the problem worse

alright so it was ideling for to long. how long can the engine run without radiator fluid before it starts cooking. my bike has always had a load knock in it aswell and its louder now. going to take it back to yamaha monday morning just to be safe

Two minutes is way too long.

A rule that applies to so many things in life....:smirk:

I had a 2010 now the 2011 yz450f, and live in the heat of tropical North Queensland, I idle for periods over 2 minutes regularly and don't boil over a drop. Our local track 30 second board guy is about 3 minutes too nad nothing lol.

So I would be looking deeper mate than just idle too long...

I had a 2010 now the 2011 yz450f, and live in the heat of tropical North Queensland, I idle for periods over 2 minutes regularly and don't boil over a drop. Our local track 30 second board guy is about 3 minutes too nad nothing lol.

So I would be looking deeper mate than just idle too long...

really mate? i live in cairns... i took it back to yamaha and the mechanic said the only thing they can think of is that the radiator cap wasnt on properly which i recon is bullshit

my 08 did the same thing when left idling...didnt lose all the fluid but half , and it was left for only 2-3 min as well ...No Big Deal