426 tranny problems

i have a 2001 yz426f the bike will go through all the gears just fine but when i get into 5th the bike just revs up like there is no gear there like i put it in neutral. is my tranny shot?

have you drained the oil and inspected it for more metal than normal? hows the clutch? a wearing clutch will show symptoms like yours.

i did just change the oil and there was a bit more metal then normal. im going to replace the clutch on saturday

has the clutch been acting up otherwise?

i have a 2001 yz426f the bike will go through all the gears just fine but when i get into 5th the bike just revs up like there is no gear there like i put it in neutral. is my tranny shot?

'Fraid so...

i dont know i know how that sounds i just bought the bike so i don't know... how the clutch has been acting like i said i'm going to replace the clutch on saturday. SO IS IT CLUTCH OR TRANNY. grayracer513 what do u mean Fraid so... that the clutch is gone or the tranny is shot?

In the quote of your post that I responded to, there is no question about the clutch. If the clutch would slip in 5th as badly as you describe, it would slip in 4th and probably 3rd. Since you say you basically have another neutral where 5th belongs, it's your gearbox.

Gear third, pinion, gear fourth, pinion, and gear fifth, pinion. The third gear drives the fifth and fourth gears with dogs. Your dogs are worn between third and fifth, might as well replace fourth while you are in there. Three simple gears in a row, the cost is ~$190 for all three including a couple of circlips. This is the third time I am in the transmission on my 426, I am finally doing it right. I really hate splitting cases on this thing. $40 for a gasket set and you are ready to play.

Gear third, pinion, gear fourth, pinion, and gear fifth, pinion. The third gear drives the fifth and fourth gears with dogs. Your dogs are worn between third and fifth, might as well replace fourth while you are in there. Three simple gears in a row, the cost is ~$190 for all three including a couple of circlips. This is the third time I am in the transmission on my 426, I am finally doing it right. I really hate splitting cases on this thing. $40 for a gasket set and you are ready to play.

Be sure you replace the shift fork that moves the third pinion too, or you'll be going back in again.

should i not ride it? will that tear it up more?

The engine and trans use the same oil, so all that broken stuff from the gearbox is running through the engine. What do you think, run it anyway?