HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Amador

How many teeth do you guys have?

4 posts in this topic

Hey, how many teeth are you guy's running on your rear sprocket? I'm particularly interested in those of your riding tight tracks. I just read an article on Tim Ferry's bike. He is running a 55t! Also, I'm new to the track riding. What is the prime gear to be in?? I know this is subjective, but It seems that second is too low and third is too high. I thought that maybe a larger rear sprocket would help out. What do you think?? Thanks for any info.

I've been happy with running a 14/50 on my 400. I'm usually in 3rd but there is one jump that I do that may be better in low 4th. I've tried it both ways just haven't decided which gear I like better for the jump.

Khris

------------------

When in doubt, GAS IT!

Amador, That same article on Ferry's bike also stated that his first and second gear are closer to third(taller) so going to 55t on your rear sprocket would net different results. That gearing would probably be too low and you may run into problems with clearance on your chain guide. As far as gear selection; simply put, you need to be in a gear where your motor still has crisp response and still hooks up well. I know that probably isn't much help or I'm stating the obvious but, not knowing your track or skill level, its hard to recommend a particular gear to be in. Your best bet would be to find someone near you that has the same bike and go over the track with you.

hope this helps.

------------------

like a kid again!

00 YZ426F

01 TT-R125L (my son's)

91 CR125

83 YZ490

74 Hodaka Super Combat

[This message has been edited by dirtdad (edited 03-22-2001).]

Thanks for the Info guys. I settled on a 51t. I'm hoping that it will give me enough low end to rip out of the corners in third. Tonight is the first test ride!