HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tjr_84

yz400f cracked head

5 posts in this topic

when i got back for riding the other day i notice i have a cracked block, can i remove the head without pulling the motor?? and does a 426 head fit the 400?

Yes and yes...but are you sure it's cracked? to a water jacket? to the combustion chamber?

Note that to run the 426 head, you will either have to use a 426 carb with internal hot start or drill the boss inthe intake tract and press in a nipple for a vacuum source for the external hot start on the 400.

Or don't worry about having a hot start. But, bear in mind if you switch to a 426 head the cranks are different too.

the head is cracked from the water jacket to the out side i can see water weep out the crack by the head bolt

switching to a 426 head has absolutely no impact on the crank. :smirk::bonk:B)

If the head is cracked on the outside you can likely have it welded by a competent welder, it'll save you much $$$ and time.