HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tech24

Whats your z-start pro setup?

15 posts in this topic

Going to install it this weekend. Was curoious to what setup and terrain you guys are running on your mx bikes. Thinking about medium speed and soft engagment, at least until the slop drys up a bit around here. Also have a heavy flywheel to put in so not sure if I want soft or hard but I'll probably try both. So what are you guys running and what type of terrain?

Thinking about medium speed and soft engagment,

I recently installed one on mine, and that's what I'm currently running (inner spring plus the shorter outer spring with 24 balls). I originally set it up with the same springs an 27 balls ("mid speed/hard engagement"), but what I found was that it tended to stall under a load in situations like a hard second gear launch, being a gear high, or backing off in loose traction and getting back on the gas quickly. The stalls were like those that happen with a manual setup when the engine is pulling at a very low speed and just fires back on itself with a loud clank. Manually modulating the clutch in those circumstances helps, but I thought I'd try loosening it up a little.

So far, the "mid/soft" setup seems to be working very well. At the last race there was a tricky little double step at the crest of a silt climb that we were required to stop at the top of for a check point which offered an excellent opportunity to screw up and stall the engine, but it dealt with the whole thing just fine. I think I'm becoming a fan.

Otherwise, be sure your pilot screw is set a little on the lean side so as to prevent the engine from stalling on a suddenly closed throttle.

Also, remember that just because the engine will turn over with the clutch lever out does NOT mean it's in neutral. :excuseme:

Thanks for the input, it was encouraging. I think it will be my prefered setup as well. I seem to be always starving for traction. I also got a G2 throttle tube with adjustable cams to slow the throttle opening a little. I'm hoping this combo will give me some more contol and faster riding.

With the soft engagment does it slip a lot? Do you think clutch wear will be accelerated? Just curious a few friction discs are a small price to pay for optimal traction and fun.

With the soft engagment does it slip a lot? Do you think clutch wear will be accelerated? Just curious a few friction discs are a small price to pay for optimal traction and fun.

Not once it's fully engaged, which occurs pretty early. The Rekluse will accelerate clutch wear only to the extent that you put the bike in situations where the clutch slips more than you would have done manually. In my situation, I was already using the bike primarily for off-road/desert stuff, and the Rekluse is just doing what I did, but doing it more efficiently. But if I get sloppy, and start using the Rekluse as a way to avoid downshifting to the right gear or something, then it will wear the clutch faster.

Likewise, if you decide to use the Rekluse to allow to to run a gear high in every corner, it's going to take it's toll in extra clutch wear.

That makes sense. Most of my riding lately has been hard on the clutch thanks to some muddy clay spoil thats frozen 2 inches down. So I guess its possible that it will increase life a little. Of course I do like the idea of luggin it a gear high in certain situations. Guess I'll just have to play around with it and get used to it.

You can still run a high gear in most situations. It's only when you drop below the engagement RPM, which is still pretty low at the medium setting, that the clutch slips at all.

Hey Gray glad to see finally saw the light and installed a Rekluse. Never had a stall with the med/hard setting and a 48 pilot. Try getting the jetting right before you try to blame the Rekluse and change settings.

While your at it you can remove the flywheel weight because its now a paper weight and does nothing but slow you down with the Rekluse installed.

I have mine on the suggested factory settings from Rekluse , hard/hard I believe, apparently it is most like stock that way, I don't know but I love the damn thing!

Just got done my first put around the parking lot here at the shop. And I'm pretty impressed with its operation. Went with med/soft I couldn't imagine med/hard its ready to go at the first crack of the throttle as it is. Contemplating high/soft but I need to get it out in the dirt first.

I still think I will see some benefits from a heavy flywheel which will be installed as soon as my puller gets here. It will stall if I blip the throttle from a dead stop but thats no big deal and it may go away with some more riding, flywheel, and different map.

Im also got my G2 throttle to slow the throttle opening a little, not sure if I'll get that put on tonight yet or not.

Went with med/soft I couldn't imagine med/hard its ready to go at the first crack of the throttle as it is. Contemplating high/soft but I need to get it out in the dirt first.
As I said, Med/Hard didn't do what I wanted in the off-road world, but it might work OK on the MX course. It was impossible to brake stall at that setting, so if that is the main concern, it would be fine. You can try High/Soft, but that setting WILL be the hardest on the clutch.
I have mine on the suggested factory settings from Rekluse , hard/hard I believe, apparently it is most like stock that way, I don't know but I love the damn thing!
The two settings recommended by Rekluse were Med/Hard and Med/Soft.
Hey Gray glad to see finally saw the light and installed a Rekluse. Never had a stall with the med/hard setting and a 48 pilot. Try getting the jetting right before you try to blame the Rekluse and change settings.

While your at it you can remove the flywheel weight because its now a paper weight and does nothing but slow you down with the Rekluse installed.

There you go again. Please understand several things:

• My jetting is right. It has been right for the last 3 years. I don't have problems with chop-throttle stalling because my jetting is right. However, many of those who insist on running rich pilot jetting to help make up for bad riding habits or improperly set up accelerator pumps do commonly have that complaint after first installing a Rekluse, so I thought I might point that out. It's an issue with or without an auto clutch, but it's more annoying with one, since you have no chance of bumping it back to life on the fly.
  • The stalling I had with the Med/Hard setting was under power (go read the post), not brake stalling. Brake stalling was impossible at that setting, but the engagement was too quick to apply and not quick enough to release under the conditions I find myself in quite often. Changing the settings DID fix the issue, too, whether you like it or not.
  • The flywheel stays. The benefits of running the extra weight I have already detailed, and they remain the same regardless of whether the Rekluse is or is not installed. There is no penalty for running the heavier flywheel on the YZ450, and in fact, under most conditions, it's faster with it on than not. I know you imagine that the flywheel is a handicap, but since you base that opinion on a combination of theory and experience with motorcycles other than YZ450's, you have no way of knowing that.

Gray, med/hard us what I have.

Why am I not surprised gunner still won't give up on the fact that 99% of the people disagree with him(about FWW), yet he still thinks he is right....

As I said, Med/Hard didn't do what I wanted in the off-road world, but it might work OK on the MX course. It was impossible to brake stall at that setting, so if that is the main concern, it would be fine. You can try High/Soft, but that setting WILL be the hardest on the clutch.

I think the med/soft is the way to go for offroad on a yz. The EFI is just so quick to go but I think with flywheel and slower throttle speed it will be about perfect at med/soft and my terrain and ability. Can't wait to try it out!

As far as the quickness of the throttle, there is a modification to the throttle body that people have had done that apparently fixes this very nicely.

As far as the quickness of the throttle, there is a modification to the throttle body that people have had done that apparently fixes this very nicely.

Yeah was thinking of doing that I figure I'd try out the G2 adjustable cam system since is a couple hundred buck cheaper and not permanent. But the injectioneering mod may be in my future.