Looking for a set of 150RB Wheels

Happy Holidays to you all.

In the process of converting my sons 150r to the 150RB (expert) and looking for a set of wheels for it. Just wondering if any of you have a good, straight, true set for sale or know of a company other than Excel that might make some...

Thanks for the help and safe riding.

..and the longer rear brake line, and a longer chain, and quite possibly a higher-rate shock spring..... :excuseme:

The rear sprocket is also larger on the RB, but that's a personal choice.

Oops, forget the new tires, tubes, and rim strips....

Edited by G31m

Maybe I got lucky but when I converted mine I didnt need a longer rear brake line or longer chain (no big deal anyway). I got Honda to warranty me an RB swingarm for my R bike when the swingarm recall happened, I lucked out on that one. I even ran the smaller wheelset on the RB swingarm for awhile while my son got used to the machine.

Maybe I got lucky but when I converted mine I didnt need a longer rear brake line or longer chain (no big deal anyway)..

Your chain must have been worn/stretched past the normal replacement point, and you kept the smaller R rear sprocket. Still...it's odd.

Can't imagine how you stretched the brake line to reach the caliper...

I got Honda to warranty me an RB swingarm for my R bike when the swingarm recall happened, I lucked out on that one. I even ran the smaller wheelset on the RB swingarm for awhile while my son got used to the machine.

You certainly did luck out, in that your dealer must have been sloppy.

AHC sends replacement swingarms to go to specific bikes, per frame numbers (VIN). The dealer either gave you a swingarm that belonged to someone else's bike, or didn't go through the normal procedure in procuring that swingarm.

Actually, the more I think about it, the most logical conclusion I can come to is that the swingarm you got, thinking it is for an RB, is actually for the R.

Give me the ink stampings off the arm and I can tell you if it's R or RB.

Either that, or measure the two.....

measure what?

the dealership told me that honda only made one rear brake caliper setup for the 150, that they basically made all the rear brake calipers set up for the RB and used them on both bikes.

I agree that my chain was stretched and almost to the end of the adjustment. And that now the axle is all the way forward as if it was a new chain.

where are the ink stampings your talking about?

measure what??

The swingarm. More specifically, the length.

the dealership told me that honda only made one rear brake caliper setup for the 150, that they basically made all the rear brake calipers set up for the RB and used them on both bikes. ?

He is correct; both bikes use the same caliper. We are talking about the brake line from the caliper to the master cylincer. This line is longer on the RB, because the swingarm is longer.

where are the ink stampings your talking about?
On the swingarm. Look on the inside of the arm on the chain-side and on the bottom of the arm on the brake-side.

Are you sure you've swapped swingarms on the RB150R?? Some things about your posts just don't add up.

You dont need the longer swingarm to convert to an RB.. The RB wheels will fit. It is a close fit but it works. Several people at the track I have talked to have done it on their kids bike with much success. The rear wheel comes close to the mud guard but not too close where it needs to be a concern...

You will need to get a 130 link chain and cut it... because the 120 chain that comes on the R will be too short once you slide the wheel all the way back in the swingarm.. and the 130 chain for the RB is a bit too long... But other than that and getting the 56 rear sprocket and lowering the forks in the triple clamps you should be good... Unless you also want to switch the rear spring depending on the weight of the rider.

The hubs are the same between the R and the RB so you could go rims and spokes if you can't find the complete wheels.

Yes, you could, but it isn't that much cheaper. I've priced the components:

Rear wheel assembly: $396.74

Rear wheel rim: 190.07

Rear wheel spokes: 127.68.

So, for the extra $79 you get a new hub with bearing and seals...and you don't have to pay someone to lace and true the wheel. The front wheel price difference is $82. If you can't lace/true a wheel (and few people can), it's cheaper, faster, and easier to buy the wheel assemblies.

Yes, you could, but it isn't that much cheaper. I've priced the components:

Rear wheel assembly: $396.74

Rear wheel rim: 190.07

Rear wheel spokes: 127.68.

So, for the extra $79 you get a new hub with bearing and seals...and you don't have to pay someone to lace and true the wheel. The front wheel price difference is $82. If you can't lace/true a wheel (and few people can), it's cheaper, faster, and easier to buy the wheel assemblies.

You do have a point. In my original post I was thinking the Excel wheel and spoke kit. You can get the front and rear combo at Motosport for $330 and end up with much better rims than stock. If you really shop around I bet you can find them even cheaper. And to be honest most people could lace and true a wheel, they're just too scared to give it a try.

You do have a point. In my original post I was thinking the Excel wheel and spoke kit. You can get the front and rear combo at Motosport for $330 and end up with much better rims than stock. If you really shop around I bet you can find them even cheaper. And to be honest most people could lace and true a wheel, they're just too scared to give it a try.

You, too, have a good point.

However, I must question your statement that the Excel rims are "much better" than the DID rims that Honda installs and sells as OEM replacement parts. The Excel rims may be the equal of the DID, but I've yet to see any proof that they are better, let alone "much better".

As far as most people being able to lace and true a wheel; of course, just as most people could perform successful brain surgery. Both skills require training and practice....which MOST people do not have.

Ever see a person try to lace a wheel (forget truing) for the first time? They can't do it.....not without guidance from someone who has the skill. I believe it is safe to say that 9 out of 10 members here would have the job performed by an expert, rather than tackle it themselves. Most of us know what we can and cannot do....

The swingarm. More specifically, the length.

He is correct; both bikes use the same caliper. We are talking about the brake line from the caliper to the master cylincer. This line is longer on the RB, because the swingarm is longer.

On the swingarm. Look on the inside of the arm on the chain-side and on the bottom of the arm on the brake-side.

Are you sure you've swapped swingarms on the RB150R?? Some things about your posts just don't add up.

OK so I measured the swingarm on a friend of mine's brand new 08 150r (same year as mine) and his swingarm total length is an inch shorter than the one I got on warranty. I bought mine as a 150r, when they did the swing arm warranty Honda was happy to give me the RB swingarm instead. His is 21" overall and mine is 22".

I didnt have to change anything on the rear brake assembly, not the brakeline or the caliper. There was enough slack in the brake line that it fits.

Granted, my chain was pretty stretched out so I didnt need to change that either.

I hesitate to put the serial numbers for the swingarm out on the internet as I really dont want anyone to go stir up a bunch of crap with the dealership. They did a loyal customer a favor, its a good thing.

I hesitate to put the serial numbers for the swingarm out on the internet as I really dont want anyone to go stir up a bunch of crap with the dealership. They did a loyal customer a favor, its a good thing.

So there WAS some shady chit going on, then?

No matter, it sounds like you have the RB arm.

I just picked up an OEM FR Wheel Assy $313. RR Wheel Assy $305, Swingarm $395 - all new. With tires, tubes, rim locks, straps, chain/sprocket kit, and brake line total conversion was $1229

Sounds nice and makes the job easy, but that's a ton of money...!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a photo of my sons 2008 CR150R (RB) that we just got through converting using the stock "R" swingarm. There is plenty of room to spare as far as clearance issues go.

Excel Wheels, RAD eagle hubs, DID 420 Gold chain (130 links cut to 126), Renthal Sprockets (15T-56T).

He loves the bike, rides so much better than the small wheel version.. 2 full days on the bike and he is grinning from ear to ear..

CRF150RB.JPG

sweeeet lookin ride

how big is your boy? Mine is 13 and is wrestling at 118 this year, but I dont think he is ready for the bigger wheels yet. He must be 5' 6" or so, I worry he wont have the stand over height for kicking it over as well.

50% of the riding we do is trails so I am holding off until next year for the new wheelset.

@ Caryandreg: Thanks you. My son is 15, however he is not a big 15. He weighs just 100lbs, and he is 5' 4". Your son should have no problem with the big wheel version. It handles so much better and corners with ease. Ruts and whoops are no longer a problem.

And the good news is, when you do it, you dont need the longer swingarm off the bat.

Enjoy your riding. ?