Off-Season Parts Hunting

Hope everyone had a great X-Mas,

With kids in college, no raise this year, bills, and a wife (she is a good ole gal) that doesn't understand a fifty year old's desire to play in the dirt I have to be very frugal with my toy budget.

Maybe some of you would like to try some new bar bends without breaking the bank. I found these at a good price ($21 - $25) --Sunline AV One OS bars -- Anyone ever run these bars? They feel and look like very nice bars especially for the price --http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/AV-ONE-HANDLEBAR.jpg/Brand/SUNLINE/Class2/Handlebars%20and%20Controls/Class3/Handlebars/Class1/

I found a store on e-bay closing out new K & P Engineering filters and picked one up ($10). I believe they are the same as the Scotts filter which I was looking for ( I believe that they make the filters for Scotts). I was not very happy with the stock metal filter for the YZ and had switched to paper. Any tips on using this SS filter on my 01 YZ426?

I found it always helps to search for different names on the parts as well, just like the K&P filter. I found a Yamaha dealership that had a clearance sale on some old MSRHP HARDPART stock. They listed "MSR 49t rear sprocket" on their site --Did some research (MSR sells Ironman) and I got the Ironman rear sprocket for $40! -- I hope I am happy with it.

I will be running 13t - 49t gearing for area's that I ride -- (Hatfield-McCoy, Wayne Nat'l Forest, Wellsville, Alleghany Nat'l Forest, I live in NE Ohio and there is no good riding here) -- I need to find a good chain now. I think I'm going to try the Regina ORN6 if I can find a good price. Any Ideas where to look for a good price on this chain?

I have very happy with the OEM brake pads in the past and order new front and rear set from RockyMountainATV and got a good deal on a new rear Dunlop 756 ($39)as well. I think the OEM pads just plain work well.

I am thinking about a Flywheel Weight for my bike. They only seem to sell complete flywheels for my bike now (01 YZ426) and they are big $$$ new. I wish they still sold a bolt on weighted ring kit for the bike. I am going to look for a used complete weighted flywheel or a weighted ring kit. Does anyone know if I could use a bolted weight from a 98-99 YZ400F? I know the spline is different and thought I could use just the aftermarket bolted weight ring if everything else is the same.

I run Mobil 1 racing 4T 10w/40 oil in my 426 and I purchase it at Autozone ($10 per qt.) I am happy with this oil and it seems to hold up well. Should I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w/50 in the summer heat? The manual puts the 10w/40 as a good all around choice. Does anyone have a better place to purchase this oil? Anyone get good pricing online?

My bike is getting older just like me and parts are getting harder to find, but I like her, and I still can't out ride her ability so she's a keeper for me right now:thumbsup:

Enjoy the Holiday Season with your family, keep the roost flowing, and support the Service Men during this lonely time for them,

b--man426

RockyMountainATV was the best Price on the chain.

I run Shell Rotella 15W-40 oil for about $11.00 a gallon in my dirt and street bikes. You can save some money there.

Thanks,

I will check out the chain at RM ATV.

I think I might have to take a look at oils again -- it has been along time since I researched any of them.

I run Shell Rotella 15W-40 oil for about $11.00 a gallon in my dirt and street bikes. You can save some money there.

Rotella fails rather miserably to retain its viscosity when used in a transmission, as in a YZF. Sending in a used sample with no more than 3 hours for analysis will show that it is no longer a 15w-40, but has turned into a 15w-30 or less. If you insist on using it, change it each ride.

I've been running the same Sunline bars on my bike for about 4 years. Same bars, just changed over when I got the new bike. Been through many crashes. I love them.

Thanks -- glad to hear that! these bars look and feel nice!!! I can't wait till I get them installed. Working on greasing the swingarm bearings right now, it pays to keep up with grease maintenance. :excuseme:

Rotella fails rather miserably to retain its viscosity when used in a transmission, as in a YZF.

I will keep this in mind when I do some research on oils again. It has been a long time since I looked at oils. When I made the choice to use Mobil 1 4T in my 426 it was one of the better oils that was locally obtainable for me. Maybe there is newer oil technology that is better now. Years ago I made my decision based on information and testing data obtained from a site called "bobistheoilguy" forum's. Maybe Rotella has been improved, maybe not, a informed decision is a good decision. Thanks!!:excuseme: