01 YZ 426 NEW AND NERVOUS

I JUST BOUGHT THE BIKE 2 WEEKS AGO. BEFORE THIS I RODE A CR500, AT FIRST THE RED PIPE MADE ME NERVOUS, THANKS TO THIS FOURM I KNOW ITS NORMAL. BUT NOW I SEE ALOT OF WRITE IN'S

ON BROKEN CLUTCH BASKETS, FOULING PLUGS,OVERHEATING. YOU GUYS ARE STARTING TO SCARE THE **** OUT OF ME...LOL WAS SELLING MY CR500 A MISTAKE?? P.S I LIVE IN MICHIGAN SO I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO BREAK THE BIKE IN YET, I HOPE IT DONT TAKE "BREAK IN" THE WRONG WAY...

Snoman,

It will be fine. I also came off of a CR500 before my 426 and the transition was more than welcome. Just remember, there are 1500 guys on this list. All different riding styles and backgrounds. There are bound to be some problems with this many guys. I rode the piss out of my bike last year with ZERO problems.

Hope this settles some nerves......

Tim

This is a forum for discussion and guess what that means you hear mostly about the scarry stuff... If you ask about the good stuff you'll get tons of positives. Even the ones with what would seem like tons of probs would not tell you to buy any other bike.

I bought a used 98YZ400F and I love it, it's a blast and will keep up with any two smoke (and I ride like a girl).

I don't think you will have any un usual problems. I have worried about the tuning of the carb and the like and I said the heck with it, it runs and runs good I am just gonna ride the $#%^ out of it!

You'll love the bike!!

WPsnowman,

I have been riding the YZ-F's since they first came out at the end of 97. I have not had one mechanical failure in either of my F's. I rode and raced my 98 hard for three years and never had a problem.

Be anal about maintaining fresh oil and clean air filter. It is well worth the time you'll spend changing those things.

yzernie

I just bought an 01-426 also. Iv'e had it a week now and have been secretly wondering when my "problems" are gonna start. The spark plug fouling trouble Iv'e read about here scared me to death. I almost didn't buy it until I talked to a respected Yamaha mechanic who races an 01-426. He told me to follow the proper starting proceedure, and watch the sudden throttle movements from idle and I wouldn't have any problem. Hope I don't have to retract everything I've said here later. (gotta leave myself an out) ?

Ditto. My bike has been kick ass since day one. No clutch problems, no fouling plugs. My front forks are always freakinng out, but that's because I get a little carried away with the mods. Umm..lost the rear hub once, but my fault again on setting the chain too tight.

I think the only thing to really pay attention to is stuff coming lose, as the manual says. There's a check list of stuff to go over after each ride.

Keep the oil changed, keep the bike clean, (at least the filter and chain) and look forward to the ride of your life.

DaveJ

Just to put your mine at ease about the spark plug fouling problem.

IMHO, the 01's 426 come right on the edge of being rich. So, any thing else will compound the problem. The short list.

1. Turning thorttle while not running

2. Getting a CR9E plug instead of a CR8E

3. Running choke too long.

4. Bad Gas

5. Too much or not set up oil on the air filter

Now, that I have leaned by bike up some. thrid clip, 158 main. It runs great. One guy did have a bad CDI, but I do not think that is the norm.

Have Fun and no worries mate!!

------------------

Rick

01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

I too switched from a CR500 to my 99 YZ400 and don't regret it for a minute. The 500 was bulletproof and would take alot of abuse, but I think the 400/426 is as close as you'll come to reliability of the CR500. I think what gets most people is the starting drill, especially when it's cold. You just have to re-learn a couple of things that are unique to the bike and you won't have any problems. Also the 400/426 will let you know before it pulls your arms out of their sockets, unlike the CR500, it's a much more forgiving bike when your throttle hand over rides your brain.

Pat