HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tribalbc

How to reshim your valves without removing your cams

6 posts in this topic

Well sort of :busted:

You don't have to remove your cams from your camchain and retime anyways :excuseme:

So camchain tensioner removed

Remove cam cap with shims to change

Now take your cam and lift it from the end oposite the sprocket to move it to the outside.Now rotate your cam in the chain without changing links towards the other cam. Same technique you use to remove the cams, just skip the removing part.

You now have the room you need to change the shims without removing the cam from the chain and losing timing.

Just do it one cam at a time.

I figured out this technique today having to do multiple shuffles of shims getting my clearances right on my head with newly cut seats and new valves.

Works a charm :busted:

I bench fit/shim the cams then install the head. Chain does not have to be on to shim the valves.

No matter the method, you must re-check the cam timing after the tensioner is re-engaged. Slips happen.

I bench fit/shim the cams then install the head. Chain does not have to be on to shim the valves.

No matter the method, you must re-check the cam timing after the tensioner is re-engaged. Slips happen.

I bench shimmed but made the mistake of not torquing my cam caps to value, just seated the bolts.

So a couple needed changing, then a brain fart changing in the wrong direction....

For sure you still need to check the timing, but even if you end up out a tooth or two, it's much easier to adjust than starting from scratch.

Just a time saving tip for those in the know.

Makes sense

Watch those C clips - Be sure to ALWAYS stuff a rag in the cam tunnel and be prepared to catch the clips with a magnet.

Merry Christmas

You can also zip-tie the chain directly to the cam, and the timing won't change then. When finished, I still double check everything! I don't like my motor's to go "Boom"!!! Maniac

You can also zip-tie the chain directly to the cam, and the timing won't change then. When finished, I still double check everything! I don't like my motor's to go "Boom"!!! Maniac

Not a bad idea though I'd still be nervous if it jumped a tooth on the crank.