Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
forgiven

Possible new to me 450

5 posts in this topic

I currently ride an 01 Gasgas 300 and it is not bad. It does sign early and suspension is dated. From best I can tell the 450 is going to be a smidge lighter and cheaper to work on even considering it is a 4 stroke.

My basic question is how hard is this thing going to be to start when I dump it while riding in the woods? The GasGas for all its flaws does start fairly reliably.

Beyond that I think the 450 will make a great woods bike. My plan is to cut the bars down, put bark busters on, FWW...as big as I can get. I MAY get a lexx silencer but that is not for certain. I will get a kickstand though.

Typically, I'll lock my rear brake up slowing for a corner on an mx track when I kill my bike. I usually just get by with kicking the thing like I would my daughter's CRF100, only with a little more authority, and it does help to be in neutral, to avoid clutch drag.... I did get hit by another rider back in Sept. while at the mx track, which made my 450 about as hard to restart as I've ever had it be: it took about 5 kicks, plus one more kick after I remembered to use the hot start..... :excuseme: I don't really have much of a "routine" for a hot restart, other than to try to get the piston to *just past* TDC after the compression stroke, then kick with a good firm boot. If it's really warm, it needs the hot start lever......

I recall riding a friend's borrowed YZ250F once at the local mx track, and it was much harder to restart after I locked up the rear brake, killing the goofy thing...... :busted:

Jimmie

Thanks

Just a little nervous since the 2 strokes have been so good to me and the GasGas has all the lugging ability in the world. Just being a 2001 parts are getting harder=more expensive. Thought if I sell now while in GREAT shape this would be the time to make the 450 move.

The 450 is ~2600 and in nice shape.

I really want an E start KTM 300...but they are just crazy expensive.