My new 2011 WR450F

hey fellas. just bought my new wr450f last month here in australia.

i used to have a 2002 wr250f which was a good bike but just getting a bit old and battered..

i remember doing most of the free mods with the 250 and they worked quite well. but now i have the bigger and newer 450 just wondering if the mods are some what similar? iv tried searching for them on here but its just too confusing, id rather just have a few people try help me as i go with the process.

so where do i start?

Edited by forsta_02

• 2 weeks later...
This is off topic but how have you handled the weight and power difference? How do you like the difference?

Yeah there's a bit of difference. Except I sold my bike at the start of the year before going overseas for 9 monts then bought the 450 when I got back.. The whole bike just feels newer and tighter if that makes sense, tho the old 2002 model was a bit old and battered. Same kinda weight, just gotta get my suspension right at the moment...

And with the mods, iv changed my air filter to a twin air one, since I only got one wash out of the standard one before falling apart, taken the airbox snorkle out, the little thing in the end of the exhaust, the grey wire, a 47 tooth rear sprocket and put some fork bleeder valves in. That's nearly all I need to do besides thrash the **** out of it haha

Yeah there's a bit of difference. Except I sold my bike at the start of the year before going overseas for 9 monts then bought the 450 when I got back.. The whole bike just feels newer and tighter if that makes sense, tho the old 2002 model was a bit old and battered. Same kinda weight, just gotta get my suspension right at the moment...

And with the mods, iv changed my air filter to a twin air one, since I only got one wash out of the standard one before falling apart, taken the airbox snorkle out, the little thing in the end of the exhaust, the grey wire, a 47 tooth rear sprocket and put some fork bleeder valves in. That's nearly all I need to do besides thrash the **** out of it haha

Did you replace the throttle stop with a YZF throttle stop yet? That mod made the biggest difference for me.

If you can only rotate the throttle about 10-15mm you will have the long throttle stop in. If you can rotate the throttle till your wrist bends back you should have the yzf throttle stop in. The wr stop is about 11mm longer than the yz stop from memory.

I saved these pics from another thread, so thank the guy who took these pics.

throtlestop.jpg

Throttlestoppic.jpg

Edited by slygary

Forsta: Then it sounds like where you start is the trailhead. Just ride. :excuseme:

Safely... The best ride is the one you put it all back in the truck in one piece and end-up in the jacuzzi with a cold beer (or a dozen), a woman with long travel suspension, a nice seat and in case of emergency, non-deployable air-bags.

If you can only rotate the throttle about 10-15mm you will have the long throttle stop in. If you can rotate the throttle till your wrist bends back you should have the yzf throttle stop in. The wr stop is about 11mm longer than the yz stop from memory.

I saved these pics from another thread, so thank the guy who took these pics.

throtlestop.jpg

Throttlestoppic.jpg

yeah i can twist it round until my wrist bends back. so its all good to go. thanks mate

• 1 month later...

well i still havent managed to put up photos yet but ill give it a go after i write this.. i just ordered a gytr slip on and also getting the boys at the local moto shop to have a go at jetting it just to give it that extra punch. but will have to wait until the weekend to see how it goes