HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FTD

Dumbfounded over quiet "CAP" performance!

11 posts in this topic

Can anyone explain to me why my bike is so much faster... in the mountains... after puting on the quiet cap. I was under the impression that the loud caps made the bike flow better and produce more power. It blows me away. I posted in "Loud Pipes II" that the thing has never pulled that hard. I have never had the bike almost rip the grips out of my hands... and it did last week... on dusty, loose trails. Is it pulling harder because it is a smoother power delivery therefore now spinning the tire as much? :)

Hoss

2 thoughts, it could be because your jetting was off, i.e. to lean before. By putting the cap on it you richened it up and brought the bike alive.

2nd thought is that it did smooth the power out and made it easier for you to ride, matched your style to the bikes lowered output.

Another thought is this. The pipe is a bit more restrictive, This in turn can give a higher boost at low end (aka Grunt) but take away from top.

Funny thing about Air Flow dynamics :)

The more flowing the pipe the more top end the power.taking out the retriction will soften the lower-to mid range pull,u would need to modify the intake side if you modify the exhast side,open exhaust needs more fuel to keep the power going up in a smooth curve(strong pull) unless it was over rich to begin,the combination of insert fuel and back pressure from pipe restriction has brought the power back to a stronger curve(strong pull)just where YOU use the power!,less back presure lets the motor rev faster and can make it go flat if the intake is not keeping up(i think!),yeah thats it :)

Can anyone explain to me why my bike is so much faster... in the mountains... after puting on the quiet pipe...

What brand and model of pipe was it?

AHHHH...I missred. Is that the turndown tip style? I have that on my Q pipe. I noticed big bottom to low mid gain and a total loss of top end with a quieter pipe. I am now doing hotcams to make some of that up. Its nice being quiet... :)

AHHHH...I missred. Is that the turndown tip style? I have that on my Q pipe. I noticed big bottom to low mid gain and a total loss of top end with a quieter pipe. I am now doing hotcams to make some of that up. Its nice being quiet... :)

Derummm... hot cams? :D Please explain...

Hoss

Pro Flow makes a high performance cam shaft. If you run both intake and exhaust cams it really boosts the top end with a little loss on the bottom end (Im talking about a DRZ). If the bottom end loss is too bad Ill toss in a higher compression piston.